Question

HP Media Center 7330n- SORRY this is LONG!! TIA any help appreciated

By rick_mclean ·
My computer bitched out on me two weeks ago- it started with a fuzzy/shaking screen and then once rebooted, came to a black screen of death that read
-
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
i am the original owner, and everything- but i was never given a system disk

my dad had a friend who said he'd take a look at it, and apparently works as a tech as a "sidejob"

first he says that the c is gone- and copies all of my files (and possibly still has copies of all of my files?!?! yikes..) which he says took 10hrs!!!
Then it turns out he says its the motherboard, and that it will cost too much to fix.
my question is- is this a common problem with hp pcs?
is my computer worth fixing?
and if not, if it IS only the motherboard, are all of the other components (cd/dvd burner and other perks with the media center) and OS transferrable to a dif. pc?

he has given me a list to choose from if i do so desire- they are all refurbs/wiped drives of corporate type computers.

if it isnt worth fixing, is there one of these models that is most suitable/compatible, or anything that i should just straight up steer clear of?

Thanks soo much in advance guys, i appreciate anyones time on this issue, and helping me out-unfortunately i am really not that computer savvy- and dont know if i should/can trust this guy- and REALLY dont know, if can/should trust anyone from staples or other "Tech support" outlets.

SUGGESTED "NEW" PC's from P/T TechyGuy
(there is quite a long list- i have selected to just put on the HP's cuz i am assuming that if anything is going to be compatible, it will be easiest with the same manufacturer, wrong?)

These ones highlighted as "Fastest"

1. HP DC7700 DESKTOP, C2D 1.86, 1GDDR 667, 200GB HD, COMBO, 2YR MANU. WARRANTY, XPPRO- 299.99

2. HPDC5700 DESKTOP, C2D 1.86, 1GDDR 667, 200GB HD, COMBO, 2YR MANU. WARRANTY, XPPRO- 299.99

This one is just highlighted as a "consider" option i think-
HP DX325 MINITOWER AMD 2600+, 512MB, 40G, DVD, XPPRO- 89.99

Then these ones were circled on the list- possibly just cuz they were weekly specials?
IBM ITTELISTATION M PRO , P4 3.6GHZ, HYPERTHREADING TECH, 1024MBRAM, 80GBHD, CDROM, 128MB AGP VIDCARD, INTEGRATED 10/100/1000LAN
WINXPPRO COA -199.99

and finally

HP/COMPAQ D530 TOWER, PENTIUM IV 3.0GHZ, HYPETHREAD TECH, 1024GB RAM, 40GB HD, DVDROM, 1XSERIAL,4XUSB, 1XPARALLEL, INTEGRATED 10/100/1000LAN, WINXPPRO COA- 159.99

I'm worried, as i was fairly happy with my computer and its performance, and really dont want to downgrade (and am horrified of any other OS than regXP) nor do i want to make a bad (mostly uneducated/uniformed) opinion, as i dont know what most of these terms like hyperthreading-10/100/1000lan mean etc.

thanks to anyone who has stuck with me this long, and read this entire post! i know it was/is long, so i really appreciate it.

~Meredith

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

YIKES!!!

by cmiller5400 In reply to HP Media Center 7330n- SO ...

It WAS a long post. Sounds like you had two separate issues? Bad HDD and motherboard? What are your current specs?

Depending on the OS version if it is OEM, you can not transfer it to another PC. (*- Call Microsoft for the final answer)

See this link for info on hyper-threading--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

10/100/1000 is a term for network speed. 10 million bits per second, 100 million bits per second and 1,000 million bits per second (or also known as gigabit)

Any of them look like decent home machines that are used for casual use.

Collapse -

Get a new one

by mike.bullock In reply to HP Media Center 7330n- SO ...

Most times it is better to get a new system when this happens. When a tech says it would cost too much to fix, it usually means he doesn't want to mess with it... which translates to it's too old, buy a new one. With that said, there are tons of advantages technology wise, of investing that $$ into a new one instead of a new HD or MB.

As far as recommendatoins go, if you're on a budget you can try your luck with an e-machine or if you don't mind investing the extra money you can go with HP/Dell or even a "white box" custom built. Newegg is a good resource!

Good luck.

Back to Storage Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)