Question

Hp Pavilion dv6000 - wont boot

By StealthWiFi ·
Ok so I just got a HP Pavilion dv6000 (laptop).
Turned it on and the screen is blank.
I can hear it going through POST, checking the cd drive...all the keyboard lights are on then after a minute it restarts (still nothing on screen) and does it all over again, like it's cycling through POST looking for the monitor.

Leaving it along after about 25min it booted fine, turned it off and did the same thing again. Left it for an hour and it boots, turned it off and now even after like three hours nothing.

I checked the hard drive with the HP built in tool in Bios the first time it booted and that came back clean.

Verified Power is working, drained all power and tried again and still nothing. Removed then reinserted RAM and still nothing.

When I say still nothing I mean it still appears to cycle through POST and nothing is ever displayed on the monitor, the monitor shows zero signs of life, no flicker, no lighting up, nothing.

From my knowledge the laptop has not been droped.

Since it did boot up 3 times I am guessing the built in Video Card is shot.

Any ideas or other suggestions to support/refute this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Plug in an External Monitor and see

by OH Smeg In reply to Hp Pavilion dv6000 - wont ...

What if anything happens. It could be a faulty screen here or a broken lead to the screen.

It may even be working correctly but the Ribbon Cable from the M'Board to the screen is broken. Or it may be the Video Card in the unit.

Col

Collapse -

Tried that

by StealthWiFi In reply to Plug in an External Monit ...

I tried attaching an external monitor and also connecting it via an S-Video cable and no response at all from the monitors. I checked the best I could at the time for a broken/fryed lead and did no find one.

Since it did turn on without intervention two times I doubt a lead is broken, if the lead was broke it shouldn't work at all.

Collapse -

No sometimes they work when the Lid is at a certain angle

by OH Smeg In reply to Tried that

But as mentioned below you need to check HP for a recall they have had several problems with some models and even some NVidia Video Chip Sets may have a Design Problem.

Just a thought there though.

Col

Collapse -

Black screen

by zlitocook In reply to Plug in an External Monit ...

Do a search on Google for it, people say it is from the last MS patch updates or from malware.
Ether way depending how computer savvy you are you can try these things.
Boot to a live CD lf after it boots and if you can see your screen use the tools with the live CD to try to clean your system.
You can try removing your video driver and rebooting to see if it finds and reinstalls the driver.
If you boot from UBCD with an USB device plugged in it will see the device. You can load system cleaners like Malware bytes, Super antimalware, MacAfee?s stinger or other software. And try to clean your system with them. With the Live CD you can copy out your files to a USB device. So if you need to you can wipe your drive and reinstall.
Let me know if this works or not.

Collapse -

dv6000's

by DHCDBD In reply to Hp Pavilion dv6000 - wont ...

The Quanta MB's in these NB's are subject to a recall by HP. Check the HP website, you may be eligible for a free repair.

Collapse -

Recall

by StealthWiFi In reply to dv6000's

Thanks it was a recall piece! HP is replacing

seems to be a common thing on the dv6000 for the monitor/graphics card to short out.

Cheers,

Collapse -

DV6000 No Boot

by jasnkrgr In reply to Hp Pavilion dv6000 - wont ...

I Have a dv6707us it just did the same thing. I can't get into the bios. I only get post codes if I remove all of the memory otherwise it just sits there with all of the blue lights on.
Unfortunately my warranty ran out in September. HP hasn't offered to fix it for free either they want my cc #. They gotta be crazy! They have known about this problem for some time. Alot of people are having the same problem. Nvidia has known to check out this class action. http://www.sfmslaw.com/documents/pdf/nvidia-gpu-complaint.pdf
I'm still gonna see what I can get outa HP. I'll probably end up just trying to re-ball the gpu myself. Good Luck

Back to Hardware Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)