General discussion

HP Pavilion xf335 - spilled tea

By amdlee ·
Walking downstairs with a mug of tea in one hand, my laptop and a book in the other, I tripped and a minimal amount of tea splashed on my HP Notebook. It seemed superficial; I wiped it off and went out. Later in the afternoon I discovered liquid on the control button area above the keyboard. Now it simply doesn't turn on. ??? Spoke to HP, they want me to send it in. Is there anything I can try and do first?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tamj123 In reply to HP Pavilion xf335 - spill ...

Disconnect any power connection and take out the bettery, then use hair dryer (hot heat for 5-10 minutes) to dry it

Collapse -

by tamj123 In reply to

just make sure don't over heat it

Collapse -

by amdlee In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by grbeckmeyer In reply to HP Pavilion xf335 - spill ...

I would give it plenty of time. I had a customer who spilled a glass of water on her laptop keyboard and it would no longer power up. We tried blowing it with a fan overnight which didn't help, and then over an entire weekend. It still would not power up, and we figured it was dead at that point. Thankfully, it was not thrown out but just put on a shelf. On a lark, about 2 weeks later I tried to test it out, and it worked perfectly.

Collapse -

by amdlee In reply to

Collapse -

by amdlee In reply to HP Pavilion xf335 - spill ...

Very useful comments, very good to know there's a chance the damage is not permanent. I can definitely wait a couple of days -- praying most likely!! Thanks

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to HP Pavilion xf335 - spill ...

While I agree somewhat with the previous answers, here are a few more suggestions.

Remove the battery and disconnect power first.

I would avoid using any heat above say 90 degrees 'F'. The heat from a hair dryer can be hot enough to damage parts of the circuitry inside the laptop.

The problem with tea over water, is that tea has a number of ionic compounds in it. If there was cream or sugar in the tea, this makes things worse.

Position the lap top with the side or edge closest to where the tea spilled pointing down.

Gently spray some clean distilled water on the area where the tea spilled.
If you see any colored liquid flowing out of the laptop, continue spraying the distilled water until the liquid flows clear.

Leave the laptop in this orientation for at least 24 hours in a dry room.
If you have a small fan, set it to gently **** air across the laptop.

After you have allowed the laptop to dry, pick it up and roll it around in the air. If water drips out, it needs more drying time.

Unless you apply power too soon, normally all that needs to be done is to disassemble and clean the circuitry that was covered by the tea.

Chas

Collapse -

by amdlee In reply to

Collapse -

by ameliapumo In reply to HP Pavilion xf335 - spill ...

I had a (nearly) similar problem 4 months ago (I stupidly used laptop in bath - and inevitable happened, it fell into bath (obviously battery powered!!))

I submitted question to TechRepublic and following advice, stripped laptop down, dried out using hairdryer, etc etc (as per your answers already)

the only thing I would add is that after stripping down to bare minimal necessities, and following similar advice, it still did not work. But after reading your answers, I tried to power it up again today and it worked!!.

So the best advice is to put it on a shelf for a bit after drying out and try again in a couple of weeks!!

Collapse -

by amdlee In reply to

Back to Desktop Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next