Question

HP Proliant ML350G6 use SATA instead of SAS, how?

By ikanpar1 ·
Hi.. This is my first server. It came bundled with one 300gb sas drive. However, since the price of SAS drive is very high, I would like to use 3 SATA drive to make a RAID-5 configuration.
The SAS drive is installed in the front bay, with cable from SAS controller on the motherboard to the backplane (I guess this one is HP Smart Array P410i RAID controller?)
If I want to change the drives from SAS to SATA, can I just change the drive in the bay using the same cable, or how should I do it? Because the port where the cable is connected in the motherboard is labeled "SAS Controller" but not SATA controller.. Thanks before

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I retract my earlier advice.....

by robo_dev In reply to HP Proliant ML350G6 use S ...

A SATA connector has a small notch, or "key," between the data and power connections while a SAS connector does not....

Thus a SATA drive can connect to a SAS connection, but a SAS drive cannot be plugged into a SATA connector. Clever.

Collapse -

Back plane

by Rob Kuhn In reply to HP Proliant ML350G6 use S ...

Does your Proliant have an internal drive backplane? Some of the ML350's had this as an option. It allowed for the drives to be hot swapable. If so then you're all set and all you need to do is get the drives and slide them into the backplane.

SAS and SATA drives use the same cable. The drive RPMs is the major difference; SAS being 10K or 15K RPM drives. The HP RAID controller will recognize the respected drives.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by robo_dev In reply to Back plane

I admit I was confused about this....it can be the same cable, but it's a different connector: a SATA connector has a small notch, or "key," between the data and power connections.

Thus a SATA drive can connect to a SAS connection, but a SAS drive cannot be plugged into a SATA connection.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by Rob Kuhn In reply to Back plane

My mistake ... or rather I forgot to elborate more. :)

If the ML has an internal drive backplane then SAS and SATA drives can be plugged into it at the same time as the drive carriers use a (sort of) HP universal plug/connector. The RAID software will auto detect the respected drives.

Thanks for catching my mistake. :)

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by Rob Kuhn In reply to Back plane

You are correct ... I did not elaborate clearly enough: If the ML has an internal backplane then you can mix SAS and SATA drives as the HP drive carriers use an HP universal plug/connector. Though you can mix SATA and SAS on the backplane, you cannot mix and match them in a RAID set. In fact the HP RAID software will prevent the mixing. :)

Collapse -

Oops ...

by Rob Kuhn In reply to HP Proliant ML350G6 use S ...

You are correct ... I did not elaborate clearly enough: If the ML has an internal backplane then you can mix SAS and SATA drives as the HP drive carriers use an HP universal plug/connector. Though you can mix SATA and SAS on the backplane, you cannot mix and match them in a RAID set. In fact the HP RAID software will prevent the mixing.

So my mistake in my first reply. Thanks for catching it! :)

Collapse -

Yes you can swap SATA

by Charles Bundy In reply to HP Proliant ML350G6 use S ...

for SAS. But you can't mix the two in a RAID config. :)

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)