General discussion

HTTP 500 server error

By zlitocook ·
Ok I think I have a hard one. One of our users was logging into a web site for a doctor. It worked fine in the morning but in the afternoon when she tryed it, it gave her that error message. We do use a fire wall but only give 404 error not allowed to access. I called the web site help desk and they can log on as the user with no problem. I looked up 500 error and it is a programing problem. Heres the answer I am looking for, how do I tell if its on my end or theirs? I have full Admin. rights and can setup logs to see whats going on. I tryed this from home through AOL and get "Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Incorrect syntax near the keyboard 'WHERE'.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

by Joseph Moore In reply to HTTP 500 server error

"Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14' [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Incorrect syntax near the keyboard 'WHERE'"
Well, that is a ODBC connection error on the web server. That is the web server trying to connect to the remote data source (maybe a SQL Server that has a database of user accounts) and not being able to. That could mean that 1) the database source server is down, 2) the connection between the web server and the database source server is broken somewhere (bad cable, router offline, switch powered off), or 3) the ODBC connection configured on the web server (either made dynamically by the web pages themselves or an ODBC connection manually set up on the web server that the web pages call) is not set up right, or 4) the database on the datasource machine is missing or renamed or damaged.
So, I would check on the web server and database source server end.

hope this helps

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

by zlitocook In reply to HTTP 500 server error

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

We have an NT 4.0 network with all service packs. The user and I both have Win95, and I use 98 at home. When you go to the website it is a multiuser and multicompany website. It runs programs to let users access login and access programs to input info to be accepted. Given the error messages is there a way to see where it is not going through?

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

by Matfa In reply to HTTP 500 server error

This is most definitely a programming issue on the web application side.

It seems, from the info you provide, your user is browsing some kind of login web form and submitting username and password (or something very similar). In most cases, HTTPerror 500 is returned by the web server cause it is unable to complete the execution of a server-side program or script (e.g. a CGI script). Most probably in this case, a server-side script is executing a SQL statement to retrieve the user login data from a DB. In the specific case, the returned SQL error is due to bad SQL code (a syntax error in the SQL statement). It can happen if poor code changes are moved into production.

Why can they login fine? This can be explained in a number ofways, too little info to say. One possibility is the website is hosted on multiple load-balanced servers, with different versions of the code on different servers.

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

Yes this was the problem.

Collapse -

HTTP 500 server error

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)