I also have an older pc

By kn_koetters ·
However, I don't have a USB port on my modem or router. And I can't figure out the other things y'all are talking about.
Can I get some kind of external adapter that plugs an ethernet cable into a phone cord that'll plug into my very old computer

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

I don't know if I'm reading this right

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to I also have an older pc

Because you are a bit vague but are you trying to get a Ethernet Network, CAT5 Cable connection through a COM port?

What type of computer do you have a desktop or a Note Book?

If you have a desktop you can fit a Ethernet Card to it and have a direct Cat 5 Cable connection available.

There is only one way to connect a Telephone cord to a Ethernet cable and that is with a DSL Modem as you can not use a Ethernet cable to connect to the phone lines.

Please tell me what it is that you want to do by clicking on Post A Reply and I'll do what I can to help you.


Collapse -

Let's see...

by kn_koetters In reply to I don't know if I'm readi ...

I have a Cat 5 cable coming from the modem that easily enters my router and from my router another Cat 5 cable comes out for my laptop, but my older pc is a desktop (etower 336i2) with only a couple USB ports and a telephone connector which we used to use for dial up service.
That ethernet card thing- what is it and where might I find one? Where would it connect on the desktop?
Thank you so very much for your time!!

Collapse -

Most modern

by XT John In reply to Let's see...

motherboards have an ethernet connector built right in. Yours being older, probably came with a modem (phone connector) and no ethernet card (an added on card that fit into an open slot inside your desktop). You may have a couple of open PCI slots inside your desktop, just waiting to drop an ethernet card into. They're pretty cheap, and chances are a geek friend or two has a couple extras lying about:)

Collapse -

Thanks for the explanation John

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Most modern

Even in a worst case scenario you could remove the Modem and plug in a PCI to Ethernet Card currently new I'm paying about $15.00 AU for one. So they are very cheap and come with a floppy with the necessary drivers included if you want to tackle this job yourself or as John suggested get a "Geek Friend" to fit one and then setup the system to allow it to share the Internet connection.


Collapse -

Thank you both!

by kn_koetters In reply to Thanks for the explanatio ...

Thank you so much for the explanations and ideas! I feel like I got great help and advice and the price is right!

Related Discussions

Related Forums