General discussion

i have a dell 5150

By latinblu ·
just wanting to know if anyone knows the machine so if i have trouble someone can help im on windows xp home edition i have hade it for two years now
and have had to replace the hard drive init due to a loose hd i since have tried to install xp pro with no luck the disk that i have is new and all i get is packet problems and different %$@#*&*& other probs can anyone help me i had to revert to the home edition i fix hardware probs if anyone needs help

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by w2ktechman In reply to i have a dell 5150

when installing it, dont connect it to the network if errors occur. Keep it unplugged, and if you have a dock, keep it undocked.
After it installs, then setup the network with the latest drivers

Collapse -

by hozcanhan In reply to i have a dell 5150

nice : " %$@#*&*& " lol . in your bios make sure your new disk is well "recognized" . change to boot from cd and put in a new edition of XP with service pack 2 . The rest you can go default " enter - enter - enter " . good luck .

Collapse -

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to i have a dell 5150

If you are trying to install XP Pro with SP2 you'll need to Flash the BIOS as there are known issues with the P4's and SP2.

That in itself should prevent the unit loading XP Pro with SP2. The Dell BIOS Update site is here

http://tinyurl.com/9rvdh

The other thing that you need to watch out for is that you have either an OEM or Retail copy of XP Pro if you are using a restore CD from a different system it most likely doesn't have the correct drivers on it so it will not install properly.

Lets know how you get on.

Col

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)