General discussion

IBM thinkpad 600e

By zlitocook ·
Type 264541u SN 78p8632 This is one laptop out of 600 that I am reimaging With W2K Pro. The problem is that it will not go to full screen, I used all the same driver and inf files from IBM and still the same. The screen has a black boarder around it. Everything else on the laptop works great. Is there a non IBM diagnostic program that I can use to check or fix the monitor? IBM tells me to take it to a service center and I have better things to do then to wait a month or more to wait for a tech.to tell me that the monitor is bad. The monitor looks great, it is just smaller then the rest.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

by zlitocook In reply to IBM thinkpad 600e

I have flashed the BIOS with the newest, tried installing WIN98 and IBMS 98 drivers. I can use a external monitor just fine. I guess I can keep this one for myself or if a user dont mind having to use a monitor. It's just a pain:)

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

by Joseph Moore In reply to IBM thinkpad 600e

I have a Thinkpad 600E (26454AU) and I remember I had this problem when I first put Win2KPro on it. It was just a driver issue.
Make sure you have the NeoMagic MagicGraph 256AV driver loaded for the adapter, and set it to 1024x768 resolution. That will take care of it.

hope this helps

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

I down loaded all the drivers, that was one of them. And removed and reinstalled all of them one at a time. The problem is that this is the only one out of hundreds that did not work right. I am bullheaded, my boss always tells me:) I dont stop untill I find it. I am still trying to find a program that will check the system. IBM has a builtin system check, but finds nothing wrong?

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

by Sterling_Aug In reply to IBM thinkpad 600e

What video modes have you tried?

640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

What monitor driver are you using? Standard LCD, etc.

Have you tried using this with an external monitor?

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

All your questions except the monitor size, which I tried all of them are answered is my comments. I have compleated all driver installs and tried all temp. fixes with no good way to use the Thinkpad monitor. All checks of the laptop I.E. IBM and other leads have not worked. We me and my boss have put this computer in the recycle bin. Heh he is gone! I am going to find out why it won't work!

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

As a last resort try installing WinXP from scratch using the CD then look and see exactly what driver XP loaded for the display adapter. I have seen a few times where XP finds a better mathc than 2K does.

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

Did try it but no good, same screen size. I guess I will take it to an IBM repair shop and let them tell me whats wrong. But I know they will just replace the monitor or the motherboard oh well.

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

Have you checked the RAM chip(s)?

The video shares RAM with the motherboard and processor and there may be a problem.

How much RAM is displayed in the BIOS versus how much is displayed in Windows?

Collapse -

IBM thinkpad 600e

96mb I did switch out the memory with memory from a working Think pad.

Back to Hardware Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next