Question

IBM Thinkpad T41 - 176 Error - System has been tampered with

By velys2002 ·
IBM Thinkpad T41 - 176 Error - System has been tampered with
Hi,

I am in need of your help. I have a IBM Thinkpad T41 that I am having a bit of trouble with. When I try to start it up it shows an error message - System has been tampered with, then after that prompts me for a password.

It will not let me into the bios to change any settings and I am not aware of any passwords I have set. Any time I try to enter the bios its refers me to the error message and then the password prompt.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

"It does exactly what it says on the tin..." Someone has been ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to IBM Thinkpad T41 - 176 Er ...

Attempting to break into this system.

How long have you had this laptop?
Has it been out of your sight recently?

You'll require a rather expensive chat with Lenovo.

<Typo>

Collapse -

The password is on a chip so if you have not put a password on your laptop

Then you will need to get someone to re-program the chip.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Collapse -

can you tell me how to re-program the chip

by velys2002 In reply to The password is on a chip ...

before i already try to setting ibm-bios with F10, try to recovery to the factory, i also try to the re-install with cd ..all of this is not success..can you tell me how to re-program the chip?n how much the price to re-program the chip?

Collapse -

There is a way to reset the chip.

by Kenone In reply to IBM Thinkpad T41 - 176 Er ...

I found the procedure on the Lenovo site, I can't go find it now. If I have a chance I'll look for it later.
My sympathies btw, I have three of these nightmares and spend more time on them than on any other 50 machines.

Collapse -

Yes i know how to do it and gice instructions how,

But many people will make their laptops un-operable. So i will not give out the "HOWTO". The safest way is to go to the service centre so that they can do it with the hardware and software of which i have both. Like i said you can do it manually but then if it is NOT done correctly your laptop is toast. So please do not post the answer on here because many people have tried and failed,, do you want to pick up the tab for the cost of replacement for a new laptop. I would not.

Please post back if you have any more problems or questions.

Back to Desktop Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)