General discussion

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

By ciscoman1 ·
To All

I recently had to reinstall 5.01 SP1 and now the AutoComplete won't work and the Redirect function(where the browser will send you to another page) or the page says your download will start automatically won't auto send you to the new page. For the autocomplete I have cleared Temp Internet files, cleared the history, reset the password and forms. I have check marks for web page and explorer windows and under advanced for ie properties checks are for Use inline Autocomplete for web pages and in windows explorer. Then I tried unchecking the checks in autocomplete and the advanced area and then to put checks back no go either. Next I tried to repair tool for IE three or four times still no go. I'm hoping I will not have to reinstall 5.01 again. Using 98SE any suggestions

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

by kevindbond In reply to IE 5.01 SP1 problems

Have you tried going to Tools/Internet Options... and then the Content tab. In IE5.5 there is a Auto Complete button.

Try going to www.windowsupdate.com and click on Product Updates. Install IE5.5 SP1 and any other updates your PC needs.

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

by ciscoman1 In reply to IE 5.01 SP1 problems

I am using IE 5.01 SP1 and would prefer to stay with it and yes I have went to the content tab and then autocomplete and then inside there are the 4 boxes which are all checked and all the advanced for auto inline check for explorer and web pages the 2 boxes are also checked. Yes I have used the repair tool also. Another problem is that I CAN'T get to the windows update site as when I select the update site either from the start button or from the tools menu I get a page and it wants to REDIRECT ME to another page but IT stays on the first page and at the lower left bottom of the page it says Done. How is IE 5.5 SP1 treating you Kevin??

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

by rogerndgreen In reply to IE 5.01 SP1 problems

Put in an untechnical way, something has screwed up the registry settings for IE, or you have got a corrupted file.
There are differences in the way IE5.01 & 5.5 work.
For instance, my proxy at work returns an error when I try Google or Oracle websites with 5.01, but with 5.5 it's all fine.
As the redirect function isn't working (which is just a bit of HTML interpreted by the browser) try this URL http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/ie55sp1.htm which will take you straight to the first download page. I would recommend that you download first, rather than install on-line, if only to save you the aggro of having to do it again next time something goes belly up.

I have used it on Win98, SP1 & all hot fixes, NT4SP4, NT4SP6a, Win2k (no SP)and with no problems on any of them.
If you are still having problems, try using another browser, and see if that resolves the problem. If it does, clear the registry of any IE settings and start again (that's why I recommend downloading first!)
Good luck!

Roger

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

by Shanghai Sam In reply to IE 5.01 SP1 problems

I upgraded to IE 5.5 SP1 and now all functions are working so there was something that 5.01 SP1 could not fix. I am interested in checking out the 5.01 SP 2 that just came out in case I have to Uninstall 5.5. Thanks to all who responded
ciscoman1

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

IE 5.01 SP1 problems

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)