General discussion

IE 6.0.2800.1106

By peachcobbler ·
Since updating to this version my computer has taken on a life of it's own. Windows Explorer was the first to show it's demonic attributes! Then IE and now file executions. Each day since this activation my computer has been possessed. I too cannotdownload updates or click to open files. In order to open files while in Windows Explorer, in order to open files, I must right click, then click on explore, which is now in my list of choices. File associations are also possessed. I have searched everywhere in an attempt to solve this problem to no avail. Help! I prefer not to install updates or different versions once I've found one that works for me, but secure sites require you to update or they refuse your entry.(ie.Banking etc.)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

by CG IT In reply to IE 6.0.2800.1106

Do you have IE SP1 installed? see MS article 326489 concerning fixes SP1 incorporates into IE [some of the symptoms you describe are known issues with IE and SP1 is supposed to fix those].

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

by peachcobbler In reply to IE 6.0.2800.1106

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

Yes Dr.Corperate, I installed the whole package. Nothing has worked! I've taken it out for now until I can find a solution, because after posting my question I was barely able to log out without freezing up! Thank you for your response.

peachcobbler

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

by CG IT In reply to IE 6.0.2800.1106

another case of someone asking questions just to reject answers.

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

by TheChas In reply to IE 6.0.2800.1106

What version of Windows are you running?

If W98 or Me, you may have just reached the point where the registry and related files have reached critical mass.

Everytime you add or remove software and updates, the registry grows in size.

Eventually, it grows so large that the registry uses up enough system resources that you are unable to run anything else.

You may get some relief by installing a memory manager such as Ram Booster or MemTurbo, and running either Norton WinDoctor, or V-Com Fix-It.
Also, cleaning up your hard drive and running defrag from safe mode can help.

Unfortunately, the only real FIX for a bloated registry is to format the drive, and start over.

Some peers here recommend starting over every 6 months, tomaintain 'optimum' performance.

For the 'average' user, 18 months to 3 years is about the limit for Windows 9X unless you NEVER install any new software.

Chas

Collapse -

IE 6.0.2800.1106

Hi TheChas,

I'm running Win98 with a RAM manager. I also have a new RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio. I have found it to be a very valuable tool. If you're interested you can check it out at www.jv16.org It checks for fills left behind in your registry and many other little tweaks to allow you to really clean up your registry. As for overload of the registry, I just recently id a clean install or Win98. I've tried everything I could think of to no avail. I have since un-installed IE6.0 until I find a bonafide fix for the bugs in it. I've gone back to 5.5 with the SP1. Thanks for your rapid response!

peachcobbler

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)