General discussion

IE get error 403, Other browsers do not

By chipw ·
I have a company web site that I thought worked great in all browsers. I found out there are certain images that will not display in IE, but do display in all other browsers. The error is:

Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
Error 403
www.simradusa.com
Fri Oct 3 13:20:35 2003
Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

I don't understand why these images do not load in IE but do load in other browsers. Any ideas?
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to IE get error 403, Other b ...

Can you tell us which website page is the problem and which offending picture?

I went to above website (currently using ie 5.5) and did not see any problems with icons there?

It might be a client issue. Their Tools --> Internet Options --> Security --> Internet --> might be set to high security or some custom settings.

Or their local IE Temporary Internet Files may have caching problems (clearing all Temp Internet Files usually resolves that problem).

---
What versions of IE are potential customers having problems with? What version of Front Page Extensions are your servers running? What version of Red Hat Linux? etc.

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to IE get error 403, Other b ...

This article was previously published under Q224389
SYMPTOMS
After you enable the Require Secure Channel when accessing this resource option or the Require 128-bit Encryption option from the IIS HTML Admin (HTMLA), the following error occurs when trying to access the Web site:

HTTP Error 403
403.4 Forbidden: SSL required
This error indicates that the page you are trying to access is secured with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). In order to view it, you need to enable SSL by typing "https://" at the beginning of the address you are attempting to reach.
Please contact the Web server's administrator if the problem persists.
CAUSE
The HTML Admin (HTMLA) incorrectly allows you to enable Require Secure Channel when accessing this resource and Require 128-bit Encryption before an SSL certificate has been mapped to the Web site. The MMC does not allow you to enable either of these options until an SSL certificate has been assigned to the Web site using Key Manager.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, assign an SSL certificate to the Web site using the MMC.
WORKAROUND
If you do not have an SSL certificate to assign to the Web site, use the Cscript utility to disable these options.
Open a CMD prompt: Click Start, click Run, and then type "cmd.exe" (without quotation marks) and press the Enter key.
Change to the Adminsamples directory by typing "CD \winnt\system32\inetsrv\adminsamples" (without the quotation marks), and then press the Enter key. Note: Capitalization does not matter.
Type "cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/1/root/AccessSSL false" (without quotation marks), and then press the Enter key. Again, capitalization does not matter.
Type "cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/1/root/AccessSSL128 false" (without quotation marks), and then press the Enter key. Capitalization does not matter.
Close the CMD window.
Close all browsers.
You should now be able to access the Web site

Collapse -

by chipw In reply to IE get error 403, Other b ...

the web site is http://www.simradusa.com, then click on Autopilots - then AP11 - then Dimensions, it will not display. The link to System Diagram will display properly, the link to Screen Shot of Display will not. All 3 images are stored in the same folder and have the same permissions. The second one is a image map in a .php page. The same holds true for the AP20 page - all the images will fail except the one in the remote controls image map in a .php page. Again, all of these images are stored in the one directory.

I cleared all history, cookies, cache, etc from IE, still no go. I then set the security setting to the lowest and still no go. Just a reminder - all these images that don't display in IE do display in other browsers.

Thanks for the help...

Collapse -

by thomas_deming In reply to IE get error 403, Other b ...

I think your privacy settings don't allow to identify your system at the host system for opening the images. try to set the settings of the internet explorer --> data-protection settings
Do you experience the same behaviour of your system at trying to download software (for example at chip.de).
Are you running a firewall? (mobile codes)

Collapse -

by chipw In reply to IE get error 403, Other b ...

I tried the web site mentioned and had no problem with it. I have had on problem with any web site I have visited, just the one in question. I know the problem is not with SSL - the server is my own and SSL is not installed. The images open fine in other browsers, just not IE. And I am not the only one who experiences this problem, other people have reported it also.

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)