General discussion

IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Network

By brianloewen ·
I have a firewire network linking two computers between which I do large file transfers. One computer is connected to a Nikon 9000ED film scanner and the other is connected to an Epson Stylus Pro9600 wide format printer. The network is working great, but it seems to be causing communication issues for these devices. For example, I am printing a file, and my scanner isn't being detected by the other computer. I reset the computer and the printer computer receives a communication error and the print job is just cancelled right in the middle of the job. What could be causing this? Is it something to do with device sharing, or what? Any advice would be very helpful.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Netw ...

You do realize that anything over 15' on firewire is a no no?

From what I have read the file sharing of the computer itself is the bottleneck in your configuration.

What os are you using. Are you using Firenet. And exactly are you not using ethernet.

Lee

Collapse -

by brianloewen In reply to IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Netw ...

The firewire cable is only ten feet long. I am using firewire as oppose to Ethernet because I need the extra bandwidth to transfer files at the fastest possible speed to keep my workflow going smoothly, and my network is not set up for Gigabit. I am using Windows XP Proffessional and am not using Firenet.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)