General discussion

Inspiron 2600 Video Windows 98 Driver

By aplustoz ·
One client just bought a Dell Inspiron 2600 complete with Windows XP, only to find that their applications wouldn't run on XP. They wanted Windows98SE instead. Everything went well up to the Intel 82845 AGP memory controller. FINALLY got that, but can't find any GeForce2 drivers that will recognize the video chipset.
Dell won't help (salesperson said that their contract with MS won't allow them to even sell a computer without XP OS), Intel won't support their chipset (EVEN FOR PAID SUPPORT!), and can't get anything helpful from NVidia about the GeForce2 for integrated video with 98 drivers. Can anyone out there help?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Some Ideas

by TheChas In reply to Inspiron 2600 Video Windo ...

If I understand you correctly, you did get the Intel drivers installed.

Next, for most video drivers you need to install DirectX
I would go ahead and install the latest version (not BETA) from Microsoft.

Then try installing the W9X driver from Nvidia.

If the driver still will not install, I would connect to Microsoft, and try Windows update.

I know that for my XP system, they are regularily offering new drivers to me.

Chas

Collapse -

Been there, done that...

by aplustoz In reply to Some Ideas

Thanks Chas, but no new help there.

Yes, using a combination of Intel drivers, I finally found a way to get that to work, but could not get the video drivers to work. Before attempting to load the video drivers, I had loaded DirectX 8.1. From other tech sites and NVidia's site, I've found that nobody supports the NVidia '98 drivers on that intel chipset. I was not the only one searching for them but haven't seen anything that would work. Support for Windows 98 is falling fast. Since I had spent enough hours that would have been better spent doing billable work (I could have bought a new laptop or two myself for the time I had spent), than to fight a monster that wouldn't die, I recommended that they send the laptop back to Dell andbuy a good used or factory refurbished laptop new enough to run, but old enough to support Windows98. They concurred, so the next step should go better.

Thanks again for the efforts!

Mark

Back to Desktop Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)