General discussion

Inspiron 600m Error Code

By rbascherini ·
Hello All,

I just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 600m (Service Tag HZJ8Y41) from a friend, a few weeks later when I started it up it told me that "Primary hard disk 0 not found". After doing a lot of research I found that this is a common problem and that there are many ways to try and fix the problem.

Here's what I have tried:
1. Pressing F12 for the Boot Menu and then running the Diagnostics. Results were DST Short Test Failure, Error Code 1000-0141, No Drive Detected. Upon completion of the Diagnostics I was directed to put "Drivers, Utilities, and Applications" disk in.

2. Running the "Drivers, Utilities, and Applications disk. I tried the Express Test, Extended Test, and Custom Test. Upon completion of all three there were no failures at all. I tried rebooting the laptop and still had the same results.

3. I tried booting from my Windows XP Professional disk. I got to the part where it asks if you want to install or repair Windows XP and, after trying both, was told "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer". I can't seem to enter the CHKDSK prompt anywhere prior to the install or repair prompts.

4. I bought a new hard drive from TigerDirect, one which their website matched to the 600m, however I don't think it is the right size. The hard drive I purchased is a Western Digital Scorpio 160GB Mobile Hard Drive - 2.5" EIDE, 5400, 8MB, OEM, according to the product listing. After installing the new hard drive I repeated the first three steps I explained above.

Basically I am at a loss and in need of assistance very badly. I am a student and cannot live without a laptop. I've even gone so far as to remove the old hard drive and tap on it a few times in hopes it would work again.

Is there anyway to salvage my 600m or should I consider it a lost cause? Or should I take it to a local repair shop?

Thank you in advance for all of your help and I appreciate simple answers as I am not that savvy. I do follow directions very well so if you can spell it out, I can most likely fix this problem.

- Rob

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments