Question

Inspiron 6400 Monitor Card Shared memory DVD ROM

By The-Eagle ·
Hi,
My Inspiron 6400 never be able to run most of games CDs and some CDs that includes playing voice

Yes my display Card is not separated it is Shared memory(I don't remember how many MB.I don't know how to detect it)

I don't know if the problem is from my DVD-ROM or the graphics card?

If this is because my display Card is not separated is there a way to fix this problem?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

With Most NB's it's more a matter of how much RAM is involved

by OH Smeg In reply to Inspiron 6400 Monitor Car ...

Rather than a Separate Video Card. It would be better to Max out the amount of RAM that can be installed or if this is greater than 4 GIG install 2 X 2 GIG Modules. If you are using a 32 Bit OS.

You can install more if you are using a 64 Bit OS here but you more than likely have some form of a 32 Bit Windows installed. I had a customers Acer recently with the same problem and when I added 4 GIG of RAM to it and removed the single 1 GIG Module he didn't believe that it was the same computer when he picked it up.

Col

Collapse -

I added more RAM already

by The-Eagle In reply to With Most NB's it's more ...

Thank you for your respond.
I added more RAM already to speed up my labtop it is now 2.99 GB.Yes the system speed became better but the same problem still exist.Is there a way to determine what is going on and solve the problem?

Collapse -

No - you are stuck with 224MB of shared system RAM ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to I added more RAM already

As my other post explains.

Collapse -

OK then knowing the OS involved and other Specifications

by OH Smeg In reply to I added more RAM already

Is what is required here. Unfortunately Dell allows you to change the Specifications of Systems when you buy them so the actual Specifications of what is presently installed is what is required not just the Model Number

But as a Starting Point maybe the Service Manual for the NB may be helpful.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/sm/index.htm

But also you should open the BIOS and make alterations to improve performance so look at things like the Amount of RAM Dedicated to Video as I'm not overly sure how much you have installed. So if you have lots of RAM allocated to Video Production lower that down to something like 64 MEG or lower and allow the system to use the rest for running the OS and doing what you want to do.

Instead of looking in Windows you need to look at the Actual Hardware as 32 Bit Versions of Windows lie to you about what is available.

Col

Collapse -

Sounds Interesting

by The-Eagle In reply to OK then knowing the OS in ...

This realy sounds interesting..You mean I could change the memory specified for graphics from BIOS?If this is true I will check it as soon as possible.

Collapse -

Apparently you have Intel GMA 950 graphics ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to Inspiron 6400 Monitor Car ...

According to the Intel site:

Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) 3.0 supports up to 224MB of video memory; system memory is allocated where it is needed dynamically.

Clearly, if your Inspiron has the standard 512MB RAM that the machine was launched with, it is unlikely that the graphics module will be taking all of the 224MB that it is capable of stealing. But it MAY be using an inordinately high amount of system RAM, leaving very little for anything other than the bare operating system.

As OH Smeg has said, the more RAM you fit to this laptop, the less impact the graphics chip will have (and the more power the graphics will also have in the process).

Collapse -

You also have to remember.........

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Inspiron 6400 Monitor Car ...

... some games have difficulties playing while using certain graphics 'chips', be it external graphics cards or onboard graphics cards. Because of this, most game web sites have 'patches' for the games which can be downloaded and installed to make the games 'play' on your equipment.

Have you looked at the game's manufacturer's web site to determine IF the game will play on your existing equipment? Look for a support forum or FAQ on the game web site.

Another thing to remember is that laptops are not designed to be gaming machines. Some games might 'play', but others might not, no matter what you do.

Collapse -

The same model

by The-Eagle In reply to You also have to remember ...

My brother has the same labtop model and it can play any thing.The only difference between our labtops is the graphics card.Mine is shared while his is separated.

Collapse -

That "..only difference between.." the laptops is critical ...

by OldER Mycroft In reply to The same model

Your brother's laptop will have had the 256 Mb ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 Hyper memory graphics card fitted at the factory as an optional extra.

This gives his system 128MB of bespoke graphics memory (memory that is separate from system RAM) together with a call for 128MB of system RAM when it is required by whatever program is running.

Effectively your brother's laptop still draws from the system RAM when needed, but only up to 128MB of it, having 128MB of graphics RAM always available.

Your laptop however, constantly draws on system RAM for all graphics operations. That's why your performance is slower than your brother's same laptop.

Collapse -

That 'only difference' is a HUGE difference....

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to The same model

... when it comes to games. As I told you before, game web sites have PATCHES for certain graphics cards/chips. If yours is one which is listed as needing a patch, you need to install the patch before the game will play.

It's as simple as that.

Back to Hardware Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next