General discussion

Install CALs Windows Server 2003

By mguerrero ·
I just recently rebuild a windows server 2003 standard edition. I have 5 server license and 50 CALs. I dont know how to install the CALS on the server.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

welp

by CG IT In reply to Install CALs Windows Serv ...

click start navigate admin tools/licensing. Open the licensing mmc. from here you manage all the licensing for your domain, just import the CALs.

Collapse -

need more details

by mguerrero In reply to welp

Thanks for the tip, but I need more details. I went to start > admin tools > Licensing > when I add new license I only have the option of adding Windows Server or MS BackOffice. I dont know how to import the CALs. I appriciate your help.

Collapse -

that's what the CALs are

by CG IT In reply to need more details

Windows Server Client Access Licenses. you either buy Device or User CALs.

I used the term import because you can get CALs on removable media [CD].

Your question lists 5 server licenses and 50 CALs. Now if I was going to be picky, I would say 5 server licenses means you can install the O/S on 5 different servers and you have a license for each one.

the Client Access Licenses [CALs] are so clients [workstations] can access the server. There are device CALs [workstation] and User CALs [user]. one buys device CALs if users are only going to be accessing 1 server. you buy user CALs for users who will be accessing multiple servers.

Either type, you use the Licensing MMC to manage your CALs [licensing] on the domain.
The exception is in Small Business Server. For SBS 2003 you use the server management console to add CALs.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)