General discussion

install new HDD on Netware 3.12 server

By jcb164 ·
I am installing a new HDD on a Netware 3.12 server which will replace existing HDD. Machine boots from SCSI drive via Adaptec AHA-2824A controller. I have copied all root files & directories to new HDD. When attempting to boot direct from new HDD, error message "No ROM basic, system halted."

What do I need to do to make new HDD bootable ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fgarber In reply to install new HDD on Netwar ...

Boot the machine from a bootable floppy with with dos, sys the dos partition and reboot the server without the floppy. when it comes up go to c:\386.312 and execute server.exe

Collapse -

by jcb164 In reply to install new HDD on Netwar ...

I will use this info for all future machine upgrades.

Collapse -

by lloyd In reply to install new HDD on Netwar ...

put in the new drive and get it recognoized by netware. Mirror the drive. Change the SCSI assignment on the second drive to that of the first drive that you are taking out.
If the first drive is okay and you just want more space, add the second drive and expand the volume of the first drive with the free space on the new drive.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by JimBb In reply to install new HDD on Netwar ...

I presume you made a DOS partition, formatted it and copied your files from the "old" DOS partition?
By default, if you choose to let FDISK not use the entire disk for its DOS partition, it doesn't set the partition as "active". Boot from a DOS diskette with FDISK on it, run FDISK, and select the second option ("Make a partition active",or something like that), and give the number of your DOS partition. Exit FDISK, and restart your server without the floppy.
If it still doesn't boot, try booting from a floppy with SYS on it, and run "SYS C:" (without the quotes). That will copy DOS' boot files to your C:-drive (the same as what happens when you type FORMAT /S), and those two things should get you up and running.
From there on your Autoexec should do the rest.

Jim

Collapse -

Thanks, have used this procedure in this past & it worked well. Just could not remember exact steps.

Collapse -

by colin@calbung In reply to install new HDD on Netwar ...

Just a warning on the suggestion about adding the second drive and expanding the volume onto it (spanning). This works, and is convenient, but if EITHER drive dies, you have lost the entire volume. Make sure you have a reliable and regular backup regime, or better yet, mirror your disks.

Collapse -

Amen for tape BU's.

Collapse -

Thank for all the great answers. It turns out the original HDD is dead. Original HDD's were mirrored but both were faulty. Luckily we had a complete tape BU and were able to restore to another server. We are now up & running. I will use all thesuggestions for future reference. Thanks again.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)