General discussion

Install new motherboard in hp xt933

By Casemaker ·
Hi,
I have 2 hp pavilion xt 933 that the client bought at Wal Mart. The systems are dead. I did diagnostics and removed everything cept mb and processor. I installed video card also to see if the onboard was dead, still dead. The power supply runs and puts out the correct numbers with a meter. I e-mailed hp support and was told they dont sell mb or cpu to replace these. I would need to buy a new system. I want to know if I install a new mb and processor and use all the remaining components will I be able to use the recovery disks from hp.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Install new motherboard i ...

If the motherboard is layed out the same as a standard ATX or Micro ATX board, yes, you can change the board.

Looking over the specifications, it is a socket A 200 MHz FSB system.

How well does the CPU fan run?
The Athlon and Duron CPUs will fail very quickly if the CPU fan stops or is plugged with dust.

I would try a same speed Duron CPU with a new fan, and see what happens.

From the HP spec sheet, I am concerned that the power supply is too small to run the system. Especially ifyou but a new motherboard in.

I recommend at LEAST a 250 Watt if not a 300 Watt supply.

I don't know if HPs recovery disk checks for HP hardware.

It would be easy enough to try the recovery procedure on a clean PC prior to changing the motherboard.

Chas

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to Install new motherboard i ...

Thank You!

Collapse -

by dcosgrove In reply to Install new motherboard i ...

No, HP uses a tatoo for the motherboard which is one reason they don't sell many spares. I used to do warranty work and handled quite a few HPs. Each restore CD has a list of boards that qualify and in the bios, a name and harware and software build number. No tatoo, no restore, even on an identical board. HP does send the software licence number and that number should work with a similar version of the operating system. The device drivers are another issue. If it has a moem with a cable running to a slot cover looking thing with the sound ports and game port, you need the HP chameleon drivers, no other drivers will function. Can be quite a headache.

Collapse -

Thank You!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)