General discussion

Install US Logic 160 gig As Slave Drive

By damccarty ·
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 that came with a Toshiba (?) 60 gig hard drive. I want to install a US Logic 160 gig hard drive as a slave (secondary) hard drive. Both are showing in BIOS, but Windows XP does not recognize the US Logic drive. One Dell rep had me disconnect the original hard drive and use the original Windows XP Professional CD to format the new hard drive. Now I get a dual start up screen, but opening Windows XP Professional on the original hard drive still does not recognize the new hard drive. Dell has been useless in resolving this problem despite many hours on the phone with them. Anyone have any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Install US Logic 160 gig ...

first check if you have the lastest bios update for the dell.
after the bios upgrade, check if the bios is seeing the full capacity of the harddisk.

you may need to partition the harddisk to see the full capacity.

http://tinyurl.com/ywxr

http://tinyurl.com/52c9p

if those don't help your search should be directed to the manufacturer of the harddisk to help you out, on how to install the harddisk in xp.

Leopold

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Install US Logic 160 gig ...

After checking the BIOS updates,you then will want to check the jumper settings on the drives itself to make sure the first drive is set to master and second as slave.

Open my computer and see if the drive is seen in the panel,if this is the case then it is seen and I am confused as to what you meant by it not being recognized by the master drive

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to Install US Logic 160 gig ...

After checking the BIOS updates,you then will want to check the jumper settings on the drives itself to make sure the first drive is set to master and second as slave.

Open my computer and see if the drive is seen in the panel,if this is the case then it is seen and I am confused as to what you meant by it not being recognized by the master drive

Collapse -

by OTL In reply to Install US Logic 160 gig ...

Agree with dmiles, however on the side of my Maxtor HD reads; Drives larger than 137M require Windows XP 2000 SP 3, or higher, Windows XP SP 1, or higher or ATA 133 PCI card. Thus either upgrade XP to at least SP 1 and verify the original HD is not set to Master only HD (CS should be fine) and the new should be set to slave (or CS).

If you used the overlay disk (usually provided by the OEM), rerun Fdisk and format using Win XP. OS on the primary disk will not read the secondary if both are not using the same overlay program.

Back to Hardware Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)