Question

Install Vista and Server 2003 after Windows 7

By Healer ·
I have Windows 7 ultimate installed on one of my computers. For testing I have also installed Vista, Server 2003 and server 2008 on the same computer.

Since then I have been googling for information for multibooting all these operating systems but found none. I have done XP after Vista before. I am not too sure if I can use the same method. I shall certainly try. I wonder if anybody has tried similar things and give me some of his or her opinons.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

7 supports Multi Booting

by OH Smeg In reply to Install Vista and Server ...

Just the same as XP and Vista.

Though if you already have these OS's installed you can use something like Grub to create your Own Boot Menu.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2-download.en.html

Col

Collapse -

Super Grub Disk

by Healer In reply to 7 supports Multi Booting

I used a super grub disk I made some time ago. It got me to boot into server 2008 which was the last partition I installed. When I tried to boot into Windows 7 which was the first one I installed it said the boot manager was missing.

I had naively supposed it would fix up all the booting issues and create a boot menu for me but it didn't. Could you please clarify?

Collapse -

Try virtualization

by Koks In reply to Install Vista and Server ...

If you don't need last bit of RAM and MHz of your CPU, maybe you could try using virtualization. You have free virtualization software like VMware player/server or MS Virtual PC. In this case you don't need to bother with multi-booting and partitioning your disk. It depends on what you want to test, but for most of test scenarios I would go with virtualization.

Collapse -

VMware & Virtual PC 2007

by Healer In reply to Try virtualization

Thanks for advice! I might have to try virtualization eventually. On this computer I have 2 gig rams but no virtualization-assisted processor. I shall try VMware or Virtual PC 2007.

By the way, does virtualization allow change of data, program and be saved for next use?

Collapse -

VMware & Virtual PC 2007

by Koks In reply to VMware & Virtual PC 2007

It depends on what you want to test, but 2GB of ram is enough for running one virtual machine (or maybe even more, also it depends on what guest OS/software you want to run) and you don't need to have virtualization-assisted processor in order to use software for virtualization.
You can change data and it will be saved for next time you turn on the virtual machine.

Collapse -

Corrections....

by angrykeyboarder In reply to VMware & Virtual PC 2007

Good luck running more than one Guest OS at once if your host has only 2GB of RAM (especially with Windows guests).

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying everything will be slooooow.

And I'd recommend VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org) over MS Virtual PC 2007.

And if price is a factor, I'd also recommend it over VMware Workstation. VirtualBox gives you much more bang for your buck (it costs nothing).

Collapse -

You will need to use this as a guide to get

by Jacky Howe In reply to Install Vista and Server ...

Windows 2003 to work. Once you have it ready and booting use the Windows 7 to do a startup repair and should detect the other Operating Systems and add them to the bootkoader.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm

Collapse -

I just made this post

by Jacky Howe In reply to You will need to use this ...

from Windows 7, in a Virtual PC 2007SP1, environment. I'm running Vista and W7 Version 7000. It isn't very fast with only 1GB RAM allocated, but it works. I'll have to play a bit more when I move over to my other System that has more memory.

Edit: I forgot

I thought that you were going to try the Virtual environment.

Collapse -

What is Version 7000 of W7?

by Healer In reply to I just made this post

I was going to try virtualization on the Vista partition for I do not have the right processor for Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7. I have tried to install Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7 but it failed . I thought it came back to the same issue of inadequate processor. Since I want to do more work on Window servers I am not too sure if virtualization would limit them in some way not to mention the host chewing up some memory.

It looks like I need to spend some money on another computer with updated technology.

Collapse -

I told you that it doesn't work

by Jacky Howe In reply to What is Version 7000 of W ...

you will need to run VPC 2007 in Vista. For testing a File Server I would want it to be in it's own environment. That way I can test it to its full potential. I was running SBS 2003 on a 2.4Ghz Celeron with a Gig of RAM.

Before you ask. SBS 2003 is another term for Windows Server 2003. Actually all MS 2003 products are servers.

It looks like I need to spend some money on another computer with updated technology. Best comment that I have heard all day.

Back to Networks Forum
16 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next