Question

• Creator
    Topic

installing 1gb sticks on msi 661fx mb

by dempsey ·

hello, hope someone can make this easy. I have read everything in regards to what memory this mb will accept. But when I install it all hell breaks loose. Maybe not that bad but close. My system basically goes into a boot, splash screen and reboot cycle. Im guessing there are some setup changes need to be made. I currently have a 512mb and 256mb sticks and runs great. I do need more though since I have WOW. what I’m trying to install are 2x1gb sticks ddr 400 pc3200. the manual says these will work but there is something Im overlooking. I read something on MSI site that said to change settings to accept max of 4gb but when I look in setup I dont see the option.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by dempsey ·

In reply to installing 1gb sticks on msi 661fx mb

Clarifications

Some mobos don’t allow you to mix DDR and sdram

by robo_dev ·

Not sure about yours, but I’ve had some Intel boards that had two SDRAM slots and two DDR slots, but you could not use them at the same time. The only way to get to 4gig was two 2Gig DDRs.

So pull the 512 and 256 and see if the DDR works by itself.

Well as MSI doesn’t list a 661FX

by oh smeg ·

But lists several 661FM derivatives which are all a SIS Chipset Pentium 4 478 Socket M’Board with only 2 DDR RAM Sockets I can only suggest following the advice there use 2 X 1 GIG RAM from one of the following makers on the Supported RAM List for these M’Boards

Buffalo
      Crucial
      Corsair
      Kingston
      Mushkin
      OCZ Technology

After you fit the RAM enter BIOS and make sure that the RAM is correctly Read and then save the Changes as you exit BIOS so that the Computer know it has new Hardware installed namely the RAM.

Col

Viewing 2 reply threads