General discussion

Installing 940C HP Printer w/ A/B Switch

By mikemorgan ·
I am runnning windows 95 on a compaq deskpro and i currently have installed a laserjet 6 p printer and would like to also connect a HP 940c color printer using an A/B switch. I install all the software and drivers for both Printers.When going to properties of each printer and printing a test page,, everything works fine. But if i am in a Word Document and try to print to the 940C Printer it will not work.I was told that each time you want to use the one of the printers you must set that printeras the default. I have installed several other older model HP color printers Using an A/B Switch and it has worked fine. I also tryed to connect thru USb port but according to HP website,,it may not work with Windows 95..
Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by DKlippert In reply to Installing 940C HP Printe ...

Have you though about getting a cheap expansion card to create an extra LPT2 port?
You should be able to do use the switch if you change the Printer setting in Word before sending the job.
W95 didn't handle USB.

Collapse -

by mikemorgan In reply to Installing 940C HP Printe ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Installing 940C HP Printe ...

I agree with DKlippert, adding a second parellel part is your best option.

One of the problems with newer printers is the large high-speed bi-drectional data transfer that takes place between the printer and the PC.
Many switches just add to much noise, and the communications get scrambled.

As to USB, Windows 95 version 2.5 / C had limited USB support. This was only an OEM release for about the last 6 months before Windows 98 came out.
One way to tell if you have 95 "C" is by the way your HDD is set-up.
If you have a partition that is larger than 2GB, you have version "C". If all partitions are 2GB or smaller, you probably have 95 A or B.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)