Question

Installing an SBS 2003 Standard into Windows 2000 Server domain

By sweaver ·
I have an existing Windows 2000 Server box in a single server environment. It is both the DC as well as an application server (for a single application). I am going to introduce a new server running SBS 2003 Standard to utilize the Exchange features.
I understand that the new server must become the DC. Can someone tell me the most painless way to implement the new server, taking the dc role from the old server and demoting the old server to a simple app server?

I appreciate any advice/help.

Thanks,
Shane

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

This one is tricky.

by bart777 In reply to Installing an SBS 2003 St ...

If you want to maintain the AD structure as is you're going to have a bit of work to do.
This is similar to a swing migration for SBS to SBS.

First build the new server but DO NOT install the SBS pieces. Do a DCPROMO on the new server, make it a Global Catalog, and migrate the FSMO roles to it.

Setup DNS, DHCP and any other pieces on teh new server that you will need.

After you all of these pieces in place demote the old server.

Next you will complete the SBS install on the new box.

Be VERY careful. Make sure you have a good backup of your 2000 DC before you start the process just in case you have to back out.

Best of luck.

Collapse -

Resource?

by sweaver In reply to This one is tricky.

I do want to maintain the structure. The new server needs to mimic the old DC without issue, just add the SBS functionality and benefit. Do you have a good resource that can give me a detailed walk though on this? It's my first run with this situation so i need to be very very careful.

Thanks!
Shane

Collapse -

This isn't exact, but....

by bart777 In reply to Resource?

It would get you there. This link talks about an SBS to SBS migration. You are only worried about the AD part so it's actaully less complicated.

http://www.sbsmigration.com/pages/96/

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)