General discussion

Installing Exchange 2000 with existing E

By FaisalMasood ·
I've studied exchange 2000 a little bit & have installed it successfully on my home Pc on W2k using /Forestprep, DomainPrep & then setup.

Now Im facing a situation:

Say We have two offices one in USA running Exchange 5.5 on NT4 in NT4 domain (say USA.com). We have 24 hour connectivity in USA office. The other office is in ASIA having W2k domain (say ASIA.com) running in mixed mode (having NT, 98, 2000 clients).

But we don't have 24 hour connectivity on this side.In Asia office we've a w2K domain controller running SP2 plus latest patches, DNS, WINS, IIS, Active directory. We've another

w2k member server running IIS, MS ISA2000 serevr (or MS proxy in case) & its also having ISDN installed. We want to install

Exchange 2000on this computer so that we can download our mails from our USA.com exchange 5.5 server 2/3 times in a day.

1) So plz suggest me the installation sequence / method that I've to adopt.
2) Should I've to change my W2k domain say ASIA.com to USA.com here in ASIA office to match with that of USA office?
3) Should I've to make my W2k ISDN computer (on which I want t run EXchange 2000) a backup domain controller or it has nothing to do with it as I'm already running W2k domain controller?
4)Would it be easier to install & configure Exchange 5.5 on that W2k system. If yes then what would be the installation sequence?

Keep in mind
-------------
USA.com -- NT 4 domain running Exchange 5.5 with 24 hr connectivity.
ASIA.com -- W2k domain running NT, 98, 2000 clients with limited time ISDN connectivity. (Exchange 2000 is required to

connect to USA.com to download emails of ASIA office employees.)

Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to Installing Exchange 2000 ...

Just to be clear on your present set up and what you want to achieve.

You have a primary mail server no located in the USA office.

You have an office in Asia that does not have a mail server.

All employees currently get their mail from the USA mail server.

I am assuming that they are not using exchange as their client,
but instead are using either POP or IMAP to download their mail to their local machine.

You have a ISDN connection in the ASIA office. I am not sure if this connection is
a dedicated connection, on demand or controlled by time.

You do have some roadblocks, but this is how I would do it.

1. In the USA office, you have a NT4 domain.
2. In the ASIA office you have a 2K with Active Directory installed.The Asia.com office will first need to trust the NT4 USA.com domain.
This is imperative in order to make this go smoothly.

Once the 2 domains are trusting of each other, you then need to verify that you have RPC
connectivity between the USA exhsrvr and the asia server that you want to install exch on.

(instructions on the rpcping utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q167/2/60.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=Q167260&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=MSALL
or search forKB article XCLN: How to use RPCPing to test RPC Communication Q167260)

Collapse -

Next comes the fun parts. I would not install exch 2000 on this machine, instead I would install 5.5.
At this point in your set up it does not make sense to go to 2000.

Here is another article from MS KB Q259553:

XADM: Installing Exchange Server 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain in Native Mode into Windows NT Server 4.0 Exchange Server 5.5 Site

Q259553

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
This article describes how to install Exchange Server 5.5 in a Windows 2000 Server domain that is running in native mode to join an existing Exchange Server 5.5 site in a Windows NT Server 4.0 domain.

MORE INFORMATION

With Two One-Way Trusts Between Domains
Verify that your Windows2000 domain is running in native mode in Active Directory Users and Computers; right-click the domain name, and then click Properties. When the domain is running in native mode, there is no way to change back to mixed mode, other than reinstalling the domain.

Create two one-way, non-transitive trusts between the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain and the Windows 2000 domain that is running in native mode by using Active Directory Domains and Trusts in Windows 2000 Server and User Manager for Domains in Windows NT Server 4.0. In Windows 2000, the trusts to the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain are added as external, non-transitive trusts. After you create the trusts in both domains, verify the trust from the Windows 2000 domain (click the trust, and then click Edit).

Collapse -

In the Windows 2000 domain, create an Exchange Server service account and add the Exchange Server service account to the organization, site, and configuration containers by using the Exchange Server Administrator program in the Windows NT Server 4.0and Exchange Server site. Grant this account Service Account Administrator rights at all three levels. Also make sure that this account is added to the local Administrators group in the Windows 2000 domain.

Log on by using this Windows 2000 domain Exchange Server service account, and install Exchange Server to join the Exchange Server computer in the Windows NT Server 4.0 site. You need to apply Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 3 after installation is complete.

Collapse -

With a One-Way Trust Between Domains
In Windows NT Server 4.0 User Manager for Domains, add the Windows 2000 domain to the Trusting Domains box.

In Windows 2000 Active Directory Domains and Trusts, add the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain to the Domains trusted by this domain box.

Verify this one-way trust, and then log on to the Windows 2000 domain by using the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain Exchange Server service account. Install Exchange Server and join the Windows NT Server 4.0 and Exchange Server 5.5 site. To administer Exchange Server from the Windows 2000 domain, you need to log on to the Windows 2000 domain by using the Windows NT Server 4.0 domain Exchange Server service account.

Collapse -

--------------MailBoxes-------------
Once you have both exchange servers installed in the same site, and you have your IMS connecter setup.
Create a new mailbox on the Asia mail server, and send a piece of mail to it. On the client side,
set their mail server to the name of the asia mail server. I strongly reccomend using exchange instead
of POP or IMAP, You get greater control over the mail and users.

Once mail is delivered to the test MB, you can move the old mailboxes to the new server. This will take time, since you
are doing it over ISDN. If everyone is using PST folders now, it will be easier just to create new MB's on the
new server, and import their mail from the PST folders into the exchange server.

I hope this helps you get started.

Collapse -

by FaisalMasood In reply to Installing Exchange 2000 ...

I would like to answer some of the things you mentioned in your reply.

1) In ASIA.com employees get their mails using Outlook web access.

2) In ASIA.com ISDN connection is not a dedicated one. Instead it is time dependent. (we use ISDN as needed. Othertime we use regular dial up)

3) In ASIA.com Windows 2000 domain is running in Mixed mode not in Native mode. So MS KB Q259553 doesn't apply. (Installing Exchange 5.5 on Win2000 in Native mode article.)

I've downloaded the Exchange 2000 SP1. So now keeping in mind the above 3 more point:

Q) Should I install Exchange 2000 or I've to work on Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 in ASIA.com

Collapse -

I do understand sort of what you are saying.

However the question here is not, "Do I install 5.5 versus 2000?"

The Question is basically one of Design.

You can install either or. They will both talk to the other exchange server.

But that is not the issue. The issue here is what you want your end result to be.

This will depend on several points.

1. Where will the Asia.com clients receive their mail
1. Thru the OWA
2. Thru Outlook connecting to the USA.com server or the ASIA.com mail server

2. What server will the asiA.com's Mailboxes reside on?

3. What is the overall goal? Why do you want a mail server for ASIA.com

4. How will mail be delivered. Do you have a domain name that it's mx record
will bepointing to the ASIA.com mailserver. Or will the MX records for all
domains be pointing to one server. (I would reccomend the latter since the
Asia.com mailserver is only up at specified times and mail servers need to
be up 24/7 to recieve mail from the net)

5. Does mail have to be delivered in a timely fashion?

Collapse -

The problems I have with the ASIA.com mail server only having outside access to the
net during specified times is that the mail server is only good for internal mail.
It will not be good for routing mail across the net since no other mail servers can talk to it.

Plus you run into the problem of when the connection comes on line, pushing all of the mail
over an ISDN line. (This is done by using the IMS to activiate during specific times).

The different design options here are quite abundant. You are going to first need to determine
what outcome you want to achieve and then choose the best design to achieve that goal.

I strongly suggest getting the Exchange Server Training book from MSPress (ISBN 1-57231-709-4)

This was theprimary book I used for the exchange 5.5 exam and is very good. It goes into great depth
the make up of exchnage and how to set it up in different scenarios.

If it was me I would stick with 5.5. The other server is not 2000 so it would not make sense for you
to spend the cash for 2000 when the main server is not. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Collapse -

DarkOverlord,

you are really a great help. Infact I'm still working on it. But thanks for ur suggestions / help. :)

Enjoy ur points. :)

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)