General discussion

Installing Netview 7.1.4 on SUSE 9.2 PRO

By john.boake ·
I am new to Linux and am trying to get Netview 7.1.4 installed on a SUSE 9.2 PRO server. Does anyone have any instructions on this? I have contacted IBM and they are not very helpful in this instance. I managed to get most of it installed simply by adding the file /tmp/.noNVprereqCheck and I got around the GLIBC_2 by exporting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5. I then installed the server and ran the nvits_config -d l and that worked fine. At this point I am stuck. I can't manage to get webserver, nvserverd or snmpcollect daemons to start. Has anyone had success with this and if so can you lend a hand?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by stress junkie In reply to Installing Netview 7.1.4 ...

I'm just guessing here. Based on your post it appears that the network daemons are not working. SuSE 9.2 Professional installs with the SuSE Firewall configured to block all network services and all inbound service requests. You can check to see if this is the problem by reading the /var/messages file after you attempt to start your application. If you see that your network daemons are trying to connect and that the SuSE Firewall is preventing connection you have found your problem. SuSE Firewall messages have the string SFW in them so you can grep the /var/log/messages file looking for SWF as in

grep SWF /var/log/messages

or

tail -100 /var/log/messages

The pertinent messages will look something like this:

... SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=eth0 OUT= ...

The SuSE Firewall is VERY easy to configure. It is a simple front end to the iptables software. Log in to root using a GUI, preferably KDE. Then run YaST2. Select network services. Then select SuSE Firewall. It's pretty self explanatory from there.

You can also check the raw configuration of iptables by entering the following command:

iptables -L

You can get more informtion about iptables from using:

man iptables

or

info iptables

=========

If that isn't your problem then consider that SuSE 9.2 Professional uses the Linux 2.6 kernel and glibc 3.3.3 libraries. Check your documentation. You may find that the software only claims to run on the Linux 2.4 kernel, or that you need glibc 2.4. This could be a problem. If the kernel version is the problem I don't know what you can do except to install SuSE 9.0 Professional, which uses the Linux 2.4 kernel. If the glibc version is the problem then you can download and install the glibc 2.4 libraries in parallel with the ones that are already installed.

The Linux 2.6 kernel had a lot of internal changes made to it. I wouldn't be surprised if software that ran on the 2.4 kernel had problems with the 2.6 kernel.

Collapse -

by stress junkie In reply to

Errata: Novell SuSE Linux v9.1 Professional ships with glibc v 2.3.3.

Collapse -

by stress junkie In reply to

Addendum: Novel SuSE Linux v 9.1 Professtional ships with gcc v 3.3.3.

Sorry I got glibc and gcc versions mixed up in the original post.

Back to Linux Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)