General discussion

Installing Win2003 Srvr on a RAID Disk

By ronschmidt ·
Can WIN2003 Server be installed on a disk that is part of a RAID 0 or RAID 1 array? I am trying to install Win2003 Server on an IBM eServer series X206. I have two 80 GIG SATA drives attached to a SATA RAID controller and have them both defined as members of the array. I tried both RAID 0 and RAID 1 but both times the Win2003 install cannot find a hard disk present and aborts the install process. Can the NOS be installed on a RAID device or must it be installed on one outside of the array?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by willcomp In reply to Installing Win2003 Srvr o ...

You need to load the SATA/RAID drivers during install process so that Win 2003 will recognize drives.

Press F6 to load drivers at message shortly after 2003 setup starts. Drivers must be on floppy disk in drive A:.

Drivers are usually supplied by PC, motherboard, or RAID controller manufacturer. They are also normally available on manufacturer's website.

Dalton

Collapse -

by ronschmidt In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Curacao_Dejavu In reply to Installing Win2003 Srvr o ...

download the drivers from the manufacturers wbesite, and put them on a floppy.
At the start of the setup press f6 and look up the drivers.

look for a cd that was supplied with the server to help you with this.
compaq call theirs a smart start cd.

Leopold

Collapse -

Collapse -

by promartinus In reply to Installing Win2003 Srvr o ...

OOOPS ! drivers drivers.. before you even start to thinking of instaling the win2003 or any other winXP on any Raid be sure you will make rigt partition, otherwise, windows could install but can have a problem with booting, for seagate disks, there is seatools, IBM also provides the installation disk for harddrive, eventually ask your motherboard/raid company for partition creation tools... then setup partition like for winXP.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by ronschmidt In reply to Installing Win2003 Srvr o ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)