General discussion

Installing Win2k Pro on Gateways 166mhz?

By pauljaker ·
I have recently been tasked with putting up a 10 workstation lab for my company. Unfortunately, the machines provided are very outdated. They are Gateway G6 desktops, 166mhz, 3 GB drives w/32MB of memory. According to manufacturer the BIOS is updated. Obviously, it is evident that specs are very minimal to install 2000 but was possible on other machines provided. As Win2k went on w/o problems. On the G6 workstations setup gets to Hardware detection phase and just hangs. I tried installing on a clean 2GB Fat and Fat32 partition. Server NT 4.0 was previously installed on machine. Any thoughts would help????

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Installing Win2k Pro on G ...

From the way you describe it it seems that there's something in your system W2k is not willing to play with or at least not yet. The easiest work around is to remove anything you do not need for the setup. Just go with the bare minimum and once you're able to load it start adding parts to it untill it locks again during boot up. That of course will be the culprit. Do you have any ISA cards in the system that need to be configured for PNP. Have you set the BIOS to PNP. NT was loaded previously so most likely that is disabled. If Power management is enabled try disabling it or reverse.

Collapse -

by pauljaker In reply to Installing Win2k Pro on G ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Parbo In reply to Installing Win2k Pro on G ...

Comment to answers is always greatly appreciated. Helps in supplying a solution if you what happend or if anything changed at all.
Thanks for your time Paul

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

I took a look at the BIOS settings and confirmed that the BIOS and ISA cards were set to PNP. Still the same result. One interesting not is that NT 4.0 installs fine. From NT 4.0 I ran the chkupgrade batch file from Professional CD and the resultsindicated that no incompatibilites existed. I am still stuck!!!

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)