General discussion

Installing Windows Server 2003

By cjg ·
I have a peer to peer network with a VPN router as the DHCP. I would like to upgrade the network by installing Windows 2003 server on a new machine.It seems as if the server software includes a DHCP client. Should I disable DHCP on the router to allow the server to manage IP addresses? or am I missing something.Ditto with the VPN.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Active Directory ?

by djameson In reply to Installing Windows Server ...

are you setting up Active Directory? It's a good Idea to set up the DHCP and DNS servers when you are setting up AD, DHCP integrates into DNS to provide it with DNS registrations for any machine that is otherwise unable to register itself, DNS is the central service behind DNS. I would leave the VPN alone, it would require exposing a windows box to the real world which is a bad IDEa, leave your VPN appliance there.

Collapse -

Active Directory and DHCP - DNS

by cjg In reply to Active Directory ?

Yes I will be setting up Active Directory/Domain environment but I am not sure whether I should still let the router operate as the DHCP server or if I should disable it and let the 2003 server handle the IP adressing.It sounds as if I should not use the sever for the VPN. Thanks for this and hopefully additional input.

Collapse -

AD DHCP DNS

by djameson In reply to Active Directory and DHCP ...

You definatly want to use the MS DHCP server, it is pretty flexible in terms of what you can do with it. I don't like windows VPN, it doesn't stack up to something like a firebox or a netscreen. build the VPN into the network, not the server.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)