General discussion

Installing Windows XP/2000/2003

By ask_anurag ·
HI,

I have installed Windows XP / 2000 / 2003 but I am not able to see my windows 2003.I can only use windows xp and windows 2000 not windows 2003.
Can someone assist me how I can use three OS.

Thanks and Regards.

Anurag.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to Installing Windows XP/200 ...

Can you be a bit more specific. What do mean by 'not see' Windows 2003? Can you PING the server? Is it visible in My Network Places?

Collapse -

by cntrysky In reply to Installing Windows XP/200 ...

Did you install all three OS's on separate partitions on the computer and unable to load to each OS from the boot menu? Or are they individually installed on separate computers and just having problems with each PC detecting the other.?

Collapse -

by Terry_V In reply to Installing Windows XP/200 ...

Repairing Corrupted or Missing Boot.ini Files
http://sft-cyber.com/Bootini.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm
This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:

1. The default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
2. WiinXP or whichever doesn't work is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
3. The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
4. The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
5. A general hardware failure.

To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:

Method 1

Edit the Boot.ini file to restore or correct the default entry and to ensure that the other entries in the [Operating Systems] section of the Boot.ini file point to the appropriate directories. Se MS Q289022; HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini file in WinXP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
Your Boot.in file should look something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Collapse -

by Terry_V In reply to Installing Windows XP/200 ...

Method 2

Use the boocfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file.
1. Start your computer with the WinXP CD.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows, by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation you want, and then type the administrator password, if you have established one. Otherwise press Enter.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and press Enter.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).
Type Y in response to this message.

Enter Load Identifier: This is the name of the operating system. Type Window XP Professional or Windos XP home Edition. (See above example)

After WinXP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

Method 3

1. Start your computer with the WinXP CD Migrate to the Recovery Console as described above and your installation (usually number 1)
2. Log into the administrator account by typing the password for this account. (Remember that if you have not previously established a password, you simply hit Enter
3. Type expand cd-rom:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ X: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

CD-rom is the drive letter of you CD-ROM drive, and X is the drive letter of the hard disk on which WinXP is installed.
If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y
Type exit, and press Enter at the command prompt.

Collapse -

by ask_anurag In reply to Installing Windows XP/200 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)