General discussion

Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm

By cp409sd ·
I seem to be having a problem installing this rpm. It is on Red Hat 7.2. I issue the command:

rpm -Fvh wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm

and about a second later it give me back the prompt, without doing anything. I tried using the graphical version of rpm, and got a message saying that the 'packageDepCheck()' failed. I assume this means I don't have the required dependency. I am not sure how to find out which packages that it needs, which I don't have.

I tried to download the binary filefor the wu-ftp server and install it this way, but I again ran into problems...maybe a dependency thing??

Any information would help. Thank a lot.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cp409sd In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

Forgot to mention that I am trying to install it for the first time. There has never been an older version installed on this system

Collapse -

by Skizz In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

-F is the freshen option, so the install won't take place.
I'd normally just use rpm --install wu-ftpd-2.6.1.20.i386.rpm

Collapse -

See Added Comment.

Collapse -

by patrick In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

Hi,

I have allso come across this broblem and found that rmp sometimes looks for the source code of the package that you are trying to install. It could be an error in the package itself... of that I'm not sure of yet. All you have to do to install it is to let rmp ignore the dependency check. You can do that in both the GUI and the console part of rpm. The software will work after you install it.

Patrick Murphy

Collapse -

See Added Comment.

Collapse -

by Lintadsl In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

rpm -Uvh wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm will give you a list of dependency that you need to install.
The best way to use Linux is that install all dependency before do force installation. No matter how many dependency you need to install, you can find them from www.rpmfind.net

Good Luck,

Collapse -

See Added Comment.

Collapse -

I don't get it...here are the commands and responces I have tried, and they give me conflicting results:rpm -Uvh wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20 is already installed

rpm --install wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm

rpm --install --nodeps wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm

rpm -V wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm
packagewu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm is not installed

rpm -e wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm
error: package wu-ftpd-2.6.1-20.i386.rpm is not installed

The order I execute these does not seem to matter...their results for each command are the same. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -

by patrick In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

It seems to me like the software is already installed. The best way to check if this package is installed is to use the rpm pakage manager in X and check if the package exist and what version is installed. You can also check the version of the ftp server on your system by running this command: "in.ftpd --version".... this will tel you what versoin is installed. If you feel that the software is not fully installed and you can find it in package manager unistall it by using the GUI and then install it again. You can also test the ftp server before uninstalling it by enabling it in your services. To start it just type "service xinetd restart" and then try to ftp to your localhost. I hope this helps :)

Patrick

Collapse -

by Shanghai Sam In reply to Installing wu-ftpd-2.6.1- ...

Thanks for your help!

Back to Linux Forum
14 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next