Question

Intel D845GLAD Wont boot after RAM Upgrade

By pmfrech ·
My uncle gave me a PC that he had attempted to upgrade the RAM on. PC worked fine prior to the upgrade. Once he placed the new RAM in the PC boots up with no display. I switched the RAM back to the original and still the same result. I pulled all the RAM out and no beeps. I added a video card as it on board and still no display. I pulled the CMOS battery for a day and still nothing. Everything appears to be in working order. Power light on MB is on, CPU fan is turning, PS is turning. I have no idea what else to try. My thinking is that the MB is now bad. Not sure what type of RAM he tried to place in the DIMM slots. I know they are not broke. I have tried everything I can think and everything appears to be working fine, drives light etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

See if this will help

by Jacky Howe In reply to Intel D845GLAD Wont boot ...

Remove the Power cord from the PSU to discharge the Capacitors in the Power Supply. Then press the Power button for 10 seconds to discharge the Capacitors on the Motherboard.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber/eraser, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, in diferent slots, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC.

Ground yourself by placing the back of your hand on the Power Supply Unit and not moving your feet. By not taking this precaution it is possible that you could inadvertantly cause damage to the PC from an electrostatic discharge

Collapse -

Still Nothing

by pmfrech In reply to See if this will help

I tried as you suggested and still nothing. The motherboard is gone.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Collapse -

Reseat the Central Processing Unit

by Jacky Howe In reply to Still Nothing

Faulty Fans, Dust and Grime build up on the Heatsink restricting air flow. Remove the Power cable from the rear of the System and disconnect the Video cable. I would give the inside of the case a blowout with compressed air. When blowing air through the fans make sure that you physically stop them from spinning, as they may generate power and damage something. Use an Anti-Static Wrist Strap to ground yourself or by placing the back of your hand on the Power Supply Unit and not moving your feet. This will prevent electrostatic charge from building up and by not taking this precaution it is possible that you could inadvertantly cause damage to the PC from an electrostatic discharge.

Then remove the Heatsink, giving it a thorough clean and reseat the CPU applying new CPU grease. If the Fans spin freely when you give them a spin they are probably OK. If there is resistance replace them.

Clean the golden edge of each memory stick with a soft rubber/eraser, remembering not to touch the golden edge of the memory stick. Check with one stick at a time, remembering to disconnect the power from the PC as you replace them.

Also check the Capacitors around the CPU for swelling or bulging.

Check the Voltage in the CMOS battery it should be around 3v.

Collapse -

Tried your suggestion and still the same result

by pmfrech In reply to Reseat the Central Proces ...

Jacky,

I tried everything you suggested and still the same results. I cannot check the cmos battery as I have no display and I have no tool to check voltage. There are no bulging capacitors. I believe the motherboard is gone, but I am willing to try anything. I have nothing plugged in but the power supply and the CPU fan. There is 1 dimm of RAM in place. And I still do not get any beeps of any sort. There is just nothing.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Collapse -

Try another PSU

by Jacky Howe In reply to Tried your suggestion and ...

if you have one handy. I've been known to borrow one from another System for testing.

Collapse -

No Results

by pmfrech In reply to Try another PSU

Tried and still the same results. My guess is that the motherboard is fried.

Thanks Again for your help.

Collapse -

OK

by Jacky Howe In reply to No Results

try clearing the CMOS jumper. If it has onboard Video connect to that.

Collapse -

Jumper settings

by Jacky Howe In reply to See if this will help

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845glad/sb/cs-008715.htm

Collapse -

Already tried this

by pmfrech In reply to Jumper settings

Hi Jacky,

I tried this before posting my issue. It did not matter what I done still the same result.

Thanks for checking and responding.

Collapse -

Apart from

by Jacky Howe In reply to Already tried this

trying a stick of RAM in different slots I'm out of ideas. I looked after a System once that every month I had to remove the memory and use it in another slot. It only had to be moved to the next vacant slot and it would be fine for a month. lol

Back to Windows Forum
18 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next