General discussion

Intellipoint 3.2 in Windows 2000

By iith096 ·
After installing Intellipoint 3.2 on my Windows 2000 SP1 workstation and performing the first requested reboot finding error in event viewer of:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event I 7026
Date: 2/3/2001
Time: 1:14:16 AM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Mouclass

along with no mouse pointer and a prompt of "new settings, please reboot...." message popup. After doing 2nd reboot to respond to the message popup, and restarting the workstation finding the mouse pointer return but the "pointer speed" and "click lock" and "orientation" settings all greyed out and unavailable in Intellipoint. After resetting the mouse settings to the correct mouse of "Intellimouse with intellieye" and choosing the default button assignments and then either relogging out of the workstation and logging on as another user or restarting the workstation all settings are lost and all settings must be reset. Uninstalling Intellipoint 3.2 returns the mouse settings to the default Windows 2000 mouse driver with all settings available and retained. Why are Intellipoint settings all greyed out for pointer speed and other settings in Intellipoint 3.2 for Windows 2000?

Thanks,

Carlos.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

36 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Rager In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

<small help maybe> Here's a link to the M$KB on M$ optical mice http://support.microsoft.com/support/Hardware/IntelliMouse/Mousinfo/default.asp . It details a troubleshooter in the Intellipoint software. HTH

Collapse -

by iith096 In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

Thanks Rager,

I already tried that. The only thing that even comes close to the problem I am having is a knowledge base article on installing version 2.2 of intellipoint on W2K. I am installing version 3.2. Thanks for trying.

Carlos.

Collapse -

by pault In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

Again i have never used W2k but this seems to be a common problem that user are having. This is my solution and i dont even know for sure if im right, So please let me know if this does it.. W2k is trying to load 2 sets of mouse drivers, both different. It is my opinion that you need to uninstall the standard mouse drivers before installing the Intellipoint drivers... Hope im right. good luck.

Collapse -

Paul,

I thought the same thing. However, when you do install the intellipoint software it "overlays" on top of the basic mouse driver in Windows 2000 and just "enhances" the options available to you in controlling the mouse. Here is the weird thing. I installed the intellipoint correctly once before and then just recently tried using a Logitech mouse with its drivers and after not liking the mouse and the drivers, I uninstalled it. I even went through the document on the Logitech site about manually removing the drivers out of the registry as well. Yet, even after all of that, I am still not able to "reinstall" the intellipoint drivers. Thanks for trying.

Carlos.

Collapse -

by Rager In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

Here's a tool _I find helpful. It's RegCleaner from Juoni Vuorio, www.jv16.org . It does a very nice job of "listing" many things in a machine.
I'm running 98orig and ran a Logitech Wheelmouse before installing the M$ optical. I can't say I know-all, but fooling with the optical(3.2), I recently uninstalled it. On reboot I was informed vmouse.vxd was missing, (and damn, another, I think it was mouse.com.... which I'd remmed out of my config.sys) Anyway, rebooting, I assumed, would have at least brought up the native Win support for a wheelmouse, so I was a little bewildered to get the boot errors. "any key"'ed my way into W98 and had to use the keyboard to install the M$ Opt software off the cd.
Hope something helps.

Collapse -

Rager,

I am not sure if this would work with the registry in Windows 2000. I have read on newsgroups about the danger of installing Logitech mouse drivers and how they can either make a pc configuration either unstable and/or cause it to fail. I guess I got a first hand experience of that. Thanks for trying.

Carlos.

Collapse -

by richeyost In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

Hello all if you notice that when you installed your w2k svc pack it reminds you that if you add or subtract any componets that you need to re-install your svc pack. Also there are a couple of recent updates to sec that also require that you re-install. I have intellipoint 3.2 running on my W2K server and have had no problems. Hopefully yours will be working soon.

Rich

Collapse -

Rich,

Here is the real mind twister. I had Intellipoint 3.2 running just fine on my system once before. (should have left well enough alone!) I recently tried out a Logitech cordless mouse man wheel mouse and it's Mouseware 9.x drivers. (in hindsight a major mistake knowing how buggy the drivers can be) After uninstalling the mouse and the Logitech drivers the mouse properties in Intellipoint started with the "greyed" out options almost immediately. I then uninstalled the Intellipoint software and then tried to reinstall. No dice. Same problem. I then figured maybe the Logitech uninstaller did not remove all the mouse filters and drivers off the drive and left garbage in the Registry. Following a document on the Logitech site about manually uninstalling the Logitech drivers, I followed it to the letter. Removed all incorrect entries in the registry utilizing both the Reged32 and Regedit tools. I then downloaded a "fresh" copy of the Intellipoint 3.2 software from the MS site and logged on as Administrator (to rule out a rights issue) and tried to reinstall the software. Still no dice. Same thing as before. I sure there is a single Registry item or entry that is holding up the whole thing but I am not sure where it would be. Hopefully there are some MCSE's out here who might know. Thanks for trying.

Carlos.

Collapse -

by freddo frog In reply to Intellipoint 3.2 in Windo ...

Why are you trying to use the Intellipoint drivers?

On my workstation running W2K Pro with an "MS Intellimouse with Intellieye", Windows picked up the device, loaded the correct Windows 2000 drivers and the mouse worked perfectly with full functionality & configurability.

Like you virtually every time I tried to load the Intellimouse drivers on any similarly configured systems, it would cause errors and the mouse would not work. So I stuck with the Win 2K drivers, which as I said worked perfectly.

Count yourself lucky that the mouse even works as NT doesn't support the Intellimice at all (it will only work as a "standard serial mouse").

LOL :)

Collapse -

Kinko,

Glad to see I am not the only one having the problem which indicates that it is a true compatibility problem. Hopefully, MS will put up a Knowledgebase article addressing this issue soon.

Right now I am using the native Windows 2000 mouse drivers. But, just like all of us who work with computer systems in our jobs, I want to know "why" this is not working. As you can see in Rich's answer rating above, I had successfully installed the Intellimouse drivers "before" I upgraded toService Pack 1. After applying the SP1 patch the Intellipoint software "still" worked. It appears that after installing and then uninstalling the Logitech mouse drivers is when the problems began. I believe either a critical registry setting, fileor driver was removed inadvertently by the Logitech uninstaller. What that file or registry entry is the problem. I will keep on researching the problem. Thanks for trying.

Carlos.

Back to Windows Forum
36 total posts (Page 1 of 4)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04   Next