Question

Interesting Exchange Server 2007 and Virtualization question

By chris.bullock.signups ·
Ok. This might be a strange question, but I wanted to put it out and see what your thoughts are.

I just ordered a Dell R900 server with 2x Quad Core Xeon 2.13Ghz CPUs, 16gb RAM, and roughly 750GB RAID 5 SAS storage. I want to start using virtualization with this server, but I'm not ready to step it up to the "enterprise" class virtualization software.

The primary use for this server will be an Exchange '07 Standard server (supporting up to 150 mailboxes). However, I would like to use VMWare server to virtualize 3 other servers (Windows Updates / Antivirus, SQL based scheduling software, and Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0). All 3 virtual servers will be rather low utilization servers.

Since the free version of VMWare server will only allow 4gb RAM & 2 CPU cores per VM, I thought it would make sense to run Exchange '07 directly on Windows Server 2003 x64, outside of a VM. Basically loading VMWare Server and Exchange Server together on the base OS. This would keep me from being restricted to 2 CPU cores for exchange server, but would still allow me to virtualize the lesser used servers.

What are your thoughts about this? Do you see any issues with doing this?

Thanks for any and all input!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Share your knowledge