General discussion

Internet Explorer CPU 100%

By pierrejamme ·
I have been having this problem for some time. internet explore doesn't even have to be open for it to occur. Suddenly my computer freezes, and if I can get task manager open (rarely) it shows internet explorer CPU is 99 to 100% and I cannot end the process. I cannot close anything with the X or right mouse on the task bar and exit so i just power it off, count to five and restart.
If I had to guess it started when I tried the IE7 beta for a few days and then removed it.
What I have done so far:
1. Repair office
2. SFC /Scannow
3. Uninstall IE, reboot and re-install in Windows Addons.

I have too many programs installed (network administrator) to consider formatting and re-installing XP pro SP2.
I have Firefox installed, but don't like using it.

Any ideas how to fix?

Would installing IE7RC1 be an option?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Dumphrey In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

I had this problem at home about 2 months back. I THINK I traced it back to a bad patch. I uninstalled latest few patches/hotfixes and rebooted, and the ran wisdows update again. That seemed to fix me. But to be on the safe side, I would pull the disk and put it in a nother system and do a solid virus scan. I eventually had to reinstall anyway. Sorry Im not more help on this.

Collapse -

by 3xp3rt In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

My first advice is a strong virus scan. If all is OK try to install the new IE 7 from Microsoft?s site.

Collapse -

by pierrejamme In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

Sorry, I should have mentioned. Early on, I did a full Virus scan (Trend Micro enterprise), singer scan, Ewido 4.0 Scan in Safe Mode, Several Spy bot Search & Destroy, Adaware Personal scans.

Collapse -

Sorry again, that should have been Mcafee Stinger scan, not singer.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

I'd offer you to run MSCONFIG and disable all non-MS services and all startup programs. If this resolves the problem, enable/disable half the services (or programs) at a time to find the culprit.
Or you may want to run System Restore.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

Isolating Services or startup programs requires one boot. From then on 5 more reboots are needed to pinpoint the culprit assuming either one non-MS service or startup program being the cause.

Considering what you have done, the cause might be the NIC. Try a different one.

Collapse -

WCP:
I should have said that I had restored to an old setpoint five or six times. although it will be a pain, I will go the msconfig route to see how that goes. The main problem here being that some times it goes for a week or so without a problem and others it may be three or four times a day.
Plus I have 25 non MS services and 23 processes in Startup. Most of which I need for my job.

Collapse -

by Kiltie In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

First of all, may I ask why you are installing BETA PROGRAMS WHEN YOU ARE NETWORK ADMIN?

Leaving that aside, 100% CPU useage is usually down to malware, Auto runs (eh malware scans, defrags), Phone homes, Auto Updates, or M$ itself.

Try the Task Manager to see what is using 100%

As a recovery method, try the non destructive XP re-install:

http://tinyurl.com/hutg5

Watch out for pop ups, they have changed their site recently, they are most annoying. I would change cos of that, on principle, but Fred is such a good source.

It will preserve all your old data, programs and settings, however.........

a tip: His SSs refer to a normal install, if you have a dual boot or other type of system install it may be different, mine was, I had to guess ;-)

Collapse -

by BigAbe In reply to Internet Explorer CPU 100 ...

A good tool for breaking down what is using what in Task Manager is Process Explorer, go to:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ProcessesAndThreadsUtilities.html

I have used this to pinpoint what process may be causing CPU and memory utilization issues.

But overall this has all the signs of a virus/spyware. Keep running various types of spyware tools, as not all will cover everything. Ad-Aware by Lavasoft, Spybot are two good ones.

Collapse -

Kiltie:
As I said previously IE is 100% even when it isn't open sometimes. I have run every malware program I can find as I stated in another comment and am finding nothing. I am familiar with langa's no format re-install, in fact I have used it on other computers, just not convinced yet I should. Still hoping someone else has experienced it.

And finally guilty as charged for running beta. Been guilty of it since windows95 as I was one of the original beta testers.