General discussion

Internet mail using exchange 2000

By jailio ·
Hi

I have already a mail solution for my intranet and it is working fine.

My problem is that my company wants to use this same installation of exchange to be able to send and receive emails from internet.

We have a internet domain that we use to publish our web site, but it is different from my intranet domain and exchange organization.

I am not sure what i need to do be able to receive and send emails from internet if my intranet and internet domain are differents.

Can someonegive ideas because i need to solve this and i am sure that this is something that someone see before

Jaime Vuelvas

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Matt_S In reply to Internet mail using excha ...

You need to call your ISP, or who ever is hosting your website, and tell them that you want your MX records forwarded to your exchange server.

Collapse -

by jailio In reply to Internet mail using excha ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Internet mail using excha ...

If your actual domain names are different, then in addition to having your ISP set up an MX record on their DNS server, you will need to set up an additional SMTP email address for each of your users. The MX record, by the way, only has to point toyour firewall or proxy server, which will then need to be set up to forward port 25 and 110 traffic to your Exchange server. To set up the email addresses - for each user, go to the user's Email Addresses tab (in AD Users and Computers), and add a new SMTP address, i.e., user@domain.com, and make that the default SMTP address instead of the current one, which I assume is user@intranet.com. If you want all new users to have this new (external) SMTP email address instead of the intranet one, then you can change the default by going to the Exchange Manager/Recipients object, and editing the Recipients policy for your site. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Internet mail using excha ...

In order for you Exchange Server to receive Internet email the following has to happen:
1. Any client on the Internet has to be able to resolve your dmoain names email Server (called a MX record) to your Exchange Servers public IP address (or your firewall which will forward it to your Exchange server).
2. Your Exchange Server has to know that those domain names emails belong to this Exchange Server.
3. There must exist a user on your Exchange Server that has this SMTP address.
This is how it is setup:
For point 1 above, First make sure you have a static IP Address for your public and private IP address, for your private IP Address you can make it static. For your public IP address you will have to obtain one from you ISP (in some cases it means upgrading service). On your firewall make sure that you have setup that port 25 (SMTP) is forwarded to your Exchange Server, if you will have clients that will use POP then port 110 (POP) also has to be forwarded. Then have your ISP that is hosting your DNS records create an MX record that points to your public IP address.
If you don't have a static public IP address, and you don't want to obtain one, read the comment.
For point 2 above, In order to make sure that Exchange knows that it is responsible for your domain names email you have to put it in the recipient policy. In the recipient policy you can also setup which SMTP address will be the default from now on. You enter a domain name in the form @domainname.com i.e. if your domain name is yahoo.com then you enter @yahoo.com.
For point 3 above, In Active Directory you have to make sure that the users have a SMPT address that belongs to this domain, and if they will use Internet email that the one that is for the Internet is the default SMTP address for that user. For new users this will be created automaticly if you changed the recipients policy.

Collapse -

by shmaltz In reply to Internet mail using excha ...

If you don't have a public IP address and you dont' want to obtain one.
You can do one of the following:
1. You can host your email by an ISP and use a pop connector on your Exchange Server that downloads the incoming emails from the ISP server to your Exchange server. One such connecter that is very easy to setup (if you read the documentation), and I have used before is called popbeamer and you can obtain one from www.popbeamer.com.
2. You can have the MX record point to an ISPs server that supports the turn command (this is a built in SMTP command created for situations like this). Then setup an SMTP connector on your Exchange Server that runs the turn command on the ISPs server to receive emails. This second option is not so easy (even though it is easier to set up) since most ISPs don't offer it.
Regardless of which way you use all the steps I outlined in the answer has to be followed, exept for the public IP Address.
If you need more help you can email me.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)