General discussion

Iomega Zip 100 IDE, get error ntoskrnl i

By dick3d99 ·
I installed a Zip 100 Iomega drive and when it is connected as a slave or master NT 4.0 won't boot up. I get the error that ntoskrnl is corrupt or missing. I just installed their latest drivers and also did a flash upgrade to my BIOS. Disconnecting the cable fromm the drive and removing power the system comes up fine. I followed Iomegas instructions not to define the drive in the BIOS so it is disabled as there instructions says. So how do I get it to work under NT 4.0. I'm running with ServicePack 6a on NT 4.0.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by emcs In reply to Iomega Zip 100 IDE, get e ...

Go to Microsoft's Knowledge Base at: http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?ln=en-us.

Search for Article I Q124550 Err Msg: Windows NT Could Not Start...Ntoskrnl.exe.

It gives step by step instructions to re-install the file. Several other articles were listed, when I searched on 'Windows NT 4.0 Workstation' with the phrase 'ntoskrnl is corrupt or missing.'

Good luck.

dennie

Collapse -

by dick3d99 In reply to Iomega Zip 100 IDE, get e ...

ntoskrnl isn't corrupt or missing the system boots up fine with the Iomega Zip 100 disconnected. I have reinstalled ntoskrnl several times and I always get the same message when the drive is connected.

Collapse -

by Lo In reply to Iomega Zip 100 IDE, get e ...

Hi - I tried this also, just to see if it would work. Not sure the error I got but it sounded same/similar. Not sure you can do that as to access the Zip you need to load drivers, that are on the Zip that you can't access until you load the drivers (unless your MB or a controller has has/loads drivers). I was looking to do this with skeleton NT, Tape Drive and Utilities (Drive Image, Partition Magic, etc.) so I could recover from a HD crash. I have an IDE controller that say's it can boot from Zip/CD (small print says not yet). If this isn't true (one can boot from a Zip without something first loading drivers), I sure I will get a correction memo. Lo

Collapse -

Drivers for the Iomega Zip 100 have been loaded as to Iomegas instructions. There instructions are confusing but they say they are correct because the drivers are load as SCSI Drivers and can be viewed in Control Panel under SCSI Adapters

Collapse -

by Big Ray In reply to Iomega Zip 100 IDE, get e ...

You didn't say which controller and cable slot the drive was plugged into. So try moving the drive to the secondary controller. If you still have the problem then put a CD drive on the secondary controller as the master and the ZIP as a slave. I know that there are problems with PC slowdowns that have internal zips on the primary controller. I would also check to make sure the drive is not set to be a master and taking over from the primary HDD, and that the primary HDD is attached to the closet connector on the ribbon to the MB. I know that I have at times reversed the ribbon without thinking and the PC wouldn't boot either. I then spend the rest of the night kicking myself for making such a novice mistake.

Collapse -

The Zip 100 internal drive is setup as a slave on the secondary IDE with a CD-Rom as the master drive on the controller. I have tried it as a Master on the secondary controller with the CD-Rom as the slave but I get the same error. I have never tried it on the primary IDE controller. I have a feeling that the flash BIOS worked but the BIOS won't support this drive. I'm going to check Super Micros website for any Motherboard BIOS that would cause this.

Collapse -

Check and make sure that all the jumpers are set right. Sure it sounds dumb, but it happens alot. Second, the IDE cable you are using for the drive might be going (or is) bad. Try a couple different cables. If you can, try connecting it through a USB port.

When you say NT doesnt boot, what do you mean? Does the system hang, or does it just not finish loading NT? What happens when you get the ntoskrnl error?

Back to Hardware Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)