General discussion

IP address Outside the Range 169.254.89.61

By Cesarmcp ·
My laptop Wireless connectivity was working normal. Until yesterday it started to go up and down wildly.

Today finally it gave out completely. I then discovered that the IP address
even after released and renewed still outside the regular range. Now it's 169.254.89.61.

I've tried turning the wireless card on and off, turning off the firewalls, powercycling the router/moden, rebuilding the tcp/ip stack.. but so far nothing seemes to work. I will keep on troubleshooting

I was wandering if you have seen this problem before and what have you done to fix it? The wireless card came build in with my toshiba P15 latpop.

Thanks in advance.

Cesar

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

From Microsoft Help and Support

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874/en-us#EGACAAA

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has reserved 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255 for Automatic Private IP Addressing. As a result, APIPA provides an address that is guaranteed not to conflict with routable addresses.

The 169.254 addressing is APIPA automatic addressing when a DHCP server does not answer clients requests for an IP.

what that means is that your laptop is configured to obtain an address from a DHCP server and a DHCP server did not respond to requests for an IP address, therefore it assigned itself the address 169.254.89.61.

you have a connectivity problem with the DHCP server that is to provide your laptop with an address.

Need more information such as is this a work laptop? home and if home, how do you connect to the internet? .

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

yes, the address is because it can't talk to the wireless access point to get it's dhcp ip address assignment (which is what you are saying). if you have the wireless devices in close proximity with clear line of sight and you have power cycled your gateway-dhcp server and you are still getting 'zero' signal strenght then i think something broke, either in the wireless access point or your toshiba's wireless nic. i'd bet on the toshiba wireless nic without more info, like can you ping the wireless access device. can you go buy another wireless card to try?

Collapse -

by Cesarmcp In reply to

I think that we concluded the part where the Wireless card and the DHCP server aren't talking. This laptop is part of a 3 computer WORKGROUP and the 2nd one connecting wirelessly to the router. The 3rd one talks to the router and gets the Ip address dinamicly assigned no problem. Not even after power cycling the router/modem the problem will go away.

I am checking the known workarounds for this, because I am trying to avoid sending it back to the Retailer shop for warranty repair. Let's just say that this laptop has been more there than with me, and I've been giving the run around since it should have been replaced a long time ago. So if there is a work around that I could try to solve this myself that will be great. I will use that last card as a last option.

Thanks in advance.

Cesar MCP

Collapse -

by Cesarmcp In reply to

Sgt_Shultz:

I think that we concluded the part where the Wireless card and the DHCP server aren't talking. This laptop is part of a 3 computer WORKGROUP and the 2nd one connecting wirelessly to the router. The 3rd one talks to the router and gets the Ip address dinamicly assigned no problem. Not even after power cycling the router/modem the problem will go away.

I am checking the known workarounds for this, because I am trying to avoid sending it back to the Retailer shop for warranty repair. Let's just say that this laptop has been more there than with me, and I've been giving the run around since it should have been replaced a long time ago. So if there is a work around that I could try to solve this myself that will be great. I will use that last card as a last option. I could try plugging in another Wireless card using the available slot on the Laptop... However, I don't have a spare one and this sucker is still under warranty. But you right it could be the card itself... but I will wait to see if other work arounds my solve this puzzle.

Thanks in advance.

Cesar MCP

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

wireless PCMCIA cards or wireless USB NICs can be had for under $50.00 USD. I'd say get another NIC make sure it works in another computer and then put it in the Laptop. Disable the built in Wireless and use the USB or PCMCIA card. If you still get the APIPA address then the problem is not the laptop but the access point.

Collapse -

by Wauchula In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

A trick to get around the DHCP part.
open a dos box on one of the wired systems,
type ipconfig /all.
you will probably have an IP address on the machine something like 192.168.x.xxx
Add 10 to the last number ie. 192.168.2.3 -> 192.168.10.13
write down the subnet mask, gateway, dns server and alternate dns server. now go to the laptop, settings/controlpanel/network connections and doubleclick. right click on the wireless Icon and select properties, internet protocol tcp/ip (doubleclick again).
assign the ip addresse from above (+10) as the ip address, fill in the subnet mask and default gateway. also click on "use following dns server" and fill those 2 in also.

This will bypass the dns server, assigning you an IP address for troubleshooting purposes. If after all of this, I'd try the other suggestions as access points and cards will eventually quit.

Collapse -

by Cesarmcp In reply to

Wauchula one of the first things I've tried it was to assing a statitic IP address. That did not work at all. However, I moved the Laptop into my home office and attached a network cable directly into the router and that works. I am conviced that this laptop wireless card is toast.

Since it's been back from the shop I had the ac adaptor, the battery and now the wireless nic fail. I will take it to the shop one more time while still under warranty.

Cesarmcp

Collapse -

by Wauchula In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

I wasn't trying to answer this, just a comment on testing the systems. Warrantys are for problems such as you are experiencing.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by Cesarmcp In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
This is an update on this issue. I have taken the laptop to a local watering hole (coffee shop with hot spot) and found out that it had almost no problem finding the wireless router and subsequently connecting to the internet. Therefore, I concluded that:

1-) The laptop nic wasn't the problem.
2-) despite the find that I tried almost all the "usual suspects" I must have missed the router reset step. For sometimes when the laptop and the router missbehave, the problem is invariably resolved with a simple router reset. Perhaps the lack of pin at the time, or the late hours working at my home office caused me to miss this simple yet effective troubleshooting step. But Alias the problem is Solved.
After resetting the router the Laptop nic was about to acquire a leased IP number within the usual range and talk seamlessly with the Router.Problem resolved.

Cesar

Collapse -

by Cesarmcp In reply to IP address Outside the Ra ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)