General discussion

IP Addresses and Cisco PIX501

By simon ·
Hello all,

I hope someone can help me here (please).
I have just had ADSL installed in my office (60 computers) to get the ADSL to work (on only 12 needed) I need to set static IP addresses which were send to me. The network currently uses DHCP.

My problem is this the network address is 192.168.2.X / 255.255.255.0

My ADSL needs 217.207.38.X / 255.255.255.240

I can get them to work OK but only if I install IPX protocal as well, then MS Outlook runs really slow.

I have another server on the network but when I set static IP's that computer can no longer see the second server.

DO I need to change the server IP addresses to the ones my ADSL service supplied? I am totally lost here so any help would be great.

Thank you so much
BTW has anyone set up a Cisco PIX 501 firewall, becasue I need help there to.

Simon

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to IP Addresses and Cisco PI ...

The element that you are missing is a router. Once you set up two different ranges of IP addresses, you need a router in order to get them to talk to each other. Most workstations do not function well if you try to make them multi-homed (i.e., putin two NIC cards with two different IP address ranges), plus it's a lot of configuration on each workstation. However, you can set up one server as a router and then use it to connect your other workstations to the ADSL connection. This server would need to be multi-homed, with one NIC having an internal (192.168.x.x) address connected to your internal hub and one having the external (217.207.38.x) address connected to the DSL modem or router. Also, set up the external NIC with a default gateway (ask your ISP - probably 217.207.38.1), no gateway on the internal NIC and set up IP forwarding and/or RRAS to do the routing. If you are going to use a Cisco firewall/router, this may be all you need - I'm not familiar with Cisco models but ifthe model you mention is a router as well as firewall, then you're all set - you don't need the server setup I described above, just set up the routing right on the Cisco box. Once you set up your router, you need to set up each of the workstationsto use the router's internal (192.168.x.x) IP address as the default gateway and they will be able to browse the Internet. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by simon In reply to IP Addresses and Cisco PI ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Thank you for the explanation, I did wonder if that was the case but now I am sure.

the Firewall does have a router but I still need to know how to set it up, Cisco want to charge me for tech support, and as a charity it was hard enough to find the money to buy it never mind pay for support as well, if I can't set it up then I will have to send it back.

Thank you again.

Simon

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by madroxxx In reply to IP Addresses and Cisco PI ...

Your 192.168.x.x addresses are non internet routable addresses. The ones your isp gave you are public addresses. If your ISP assigned you enough IP addresses for all your computers, printers etc then you can convert all to the new addresses and forget the old. If you did not get enough addresses then you have a couple choices. 1. to proxy everyone through a single address as the previous post explained. This would work if you have no servers that need to be publically accessed such as email or web servers.
2. Set up Network Address Translation or NAT. This can be done with your PIX firewall. All your machines will keep thier 192.168.xxx.xxx addy's but the firewall will map a private addy to a public addy.
Example I ping your web server at 217.207.38.1 when the traffic gets to your PIX it sends that traffic on to 192.168.2.1.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)