General discussion

Ipchains and Windows 2000

By Lintadsl ·
I thought I know most of IPCHAINS syntax.. Well,
I forwarded a port(5802) to one of Linux box. It works fine. I would like to forward a port (5800) to Windows 2000 box and did not work. I used same syntax as Linux box (of course changed IP for win box).
How to do port forwarding to windows2000 using IPCHAINS?

Whole story is that I am testing VNC product, I have R.H.7.2 running as a Router/Firewall. I have three machines running inside of Firewall.
One is Windows2000, one is NT4.0 and the other one is Linux. From out side, I can access to Linux box though I.E.(VNC server is running on Linux box) This means my Router is forwarding that port to the right machine. When I try to access from out side to Windows 2000 box, I can notaccess it. ( VNC installed and works because I can access from LAN, from NT box, no problem).

After several testing, I figured some thing wrong with IPchains rules set. I made sure both tcp and udp forwarded to both machines. No luck.

Any idea would be appreciated.

Lintadsl.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ryan In reply to Ipchains and Windows 2000

Hi,
First off, let me start with a big <insert "I don't know much about Windows at all"> disclaimer.
It seems that VNC server actually runs on port 5900. The small java webtool web server thingie is what is running on 5800.
Another notable item is that the 5900 is not always consistant. It has to do with old X rules about running "on a display", hence the ":0" after the server name or IP when you are connecting. Without modifying the config, just firing up an X app, which is exactly what VNC is, will run it on display 0. So watch out when those windows boxes puke and you restart VNC. I've seen it decide the next display (a.k.a. :1) is a great place to run. In that case it would be listening on 5901. Then the next time 5902, and so on.
As for why the linux config is different? I'll have to ponder that. I've never actually run it on a linux box. SSH has great out of the box X forwarding and is much much safer!!!!

-goat

Collapse -

by Lintadsl In reply to Ipchains and Windows 2000

I have both 5802 and 5900 forward (TCP&UDP). 5802 forwarding to Linux box and 5900 forwarding to Win2k box. Acutally for Linux box, I can do a.k.a.l.:2, so this ends up, ports 5802 is being used. I am for sure it is forwarding problem with Win2k box. Do you have similar network setup for your VNC(at least port forwarding)? Or Win2k box connected to Internet and VNC server installed?
I am using SSH, last weekend I found VNC luckly and trying to implement to Win2k box. It would be very nice if I can connect my home Win2k box from work. Thanks for the help. I will leave this open untile I get real solution. I can not post this comment without rate your answer.

Collapse -

by Lintadsl In reply to Ipchains and Windows 2000

This question was closed by the author

Back to Linux Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Forums