is there/or does anyone know if you can view the tree cmd page by page?

By baxt76 ·
I have been working in cmd on both my vista laptop and xp pc and nether will let me view the Tree cmd, page at a time, it just flys past at warp nine.

is there a cmd perameter to view it page at time?

the /p cmd doesnt work,

why is this?

thanks in advance for your time :^)

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

/p is the wrong argument

by seanferd In reply to is there/or does anyone k ...

Use |more.

Also, the arg /? will provide a list of arguments and help for almost all commands, so tree /? will list everything you need to know.

Check with Windows help or the internet for commands, as a lot of functionality is in separate commands, and not as an argument to the command in which you are interested. This case is the perfect example - you have to pipe the output of tree to the more command.

Note that hitting Enter will scroll one line, and Space will scroll one page.

Collapse -

The pipe will help you!

by TobiF In reply to is there/or does anyone k ...

The /p parameter is a useful attribute to the dir command. But most CLI commands don't have this switch.

But I can give you 2.5 solutions.

Pipe the result of a command into the command "more" and you'll get exactly what you asked for:
<i>tree | more</i>

2. Textfile
Redirect output to textfile
<i>tree > tree.txt</i>
This will output the result of the command into a text file, which you can open in notepad.
Don't be afraid if the computer doesn't say anything for a while. A tree command can take some time to finish, and with redirected output, you won't see that the command is paving its way through your file system.
(A douple "greater than" will APPEND the command output to the end of the file, if the output file already exists)

2.5 This trick I learnt in another thread here just one week ago. But it has already been useful to me.
Instead of redirecting output to a text file, you can pipe it into the paste buffer of windows.
<i>tree | clip</i>

Collapse -

how do you use the straight line?

by baxt76 In reply to The pipe will help you!

Ok, starting to look stupid now.

the straight line you used between tree and more in the command, how do you access it?
I've tried every combination i can think of with the shift/ctrl/alt and altgr keys, none of which work.
I also cant get the euro key to work.
websites say to use the altgr key, the microsoft site says to hold down the alt key and type 01238 (think thats the num, have to go back and check) as the altgr key isnt turned on on an american keyboard (only ours are set up as uk keyboard), but it says to use the numeric key pad, would that mean using the fn key with the blue numeric keys on the laptop?

or is there a problem with my keyboard?

havent had chance to try it on the desktop yet.

Thanks again for your time :^)

Collapse -

It is the key

by IC-IT In reply to how do you use the straig ...

Right below the backspace and enter key (Shifted).

Collapse -

That was with US layout

by TobiF In reply to It is the key

These special characters have a tendency to move around a bit...

You can see UK vs US layout here:

So, if you change to US international layout, then you'll find the "pipe" with shift + the key between backspace and enter.

On a UK keyboard, it should be hidden on the key just to the left of number 1, together with AltGr.

Good hunting!

Collapse -

I have found the key

by baxt76 In reply to It is the key

I know where the key is, that isn't the problem, though it did take a bit to find at first.

It is located to the left of the "1" key, it has "`" to the bottom left corner of the key and "?" to the top left corner of the key, the "pipe" is indicated on the bottom right corner.
If I use the AltGr key I get "?" symbol, if I use the key that has "?" symbol on it, nothing happens.

I have plugged a USB keyboard into the laptop and get the same thing.

The driver is up to date.

I'm a little lost because indicating the keys it has on it (as I did above) proves the key it's self works.

Am I over looking something here?


Collapse -

Don't get this?

by baxt76 In reply to I have found the key

When I wrote the reply to you, where you can see the question marks, that's not what I put,

(the first question mark) the symbol I typed looked like a horizontal line with a short line coming down off the right hand side.
(the second question mark,as was the third) was 2 short vertical lines, 1 on top of the other. which is located to the left of the "Z" key.

Are these keys used in web programming, is that why it wont show them?

lol :^)

Collapse -

Stop, there it seems to be...

by TobiF In reply to Don't get this?

Those "two vertical lines on top of each other" IS the pipe character we're looking for.

It is often depicted that way on keyboards, but most modern fonts just give you a vertical line.

But now, you need to check your settings in Windows, as I described above.

Collapse -

Need to select matching layout in control panel

by TobiF In reply to I have found the key

The computer can't read what's printed on each key.

Open Control Panel, go to Regional settings and find a tab for "keyboards and languages".

(I used Vista terminology, but you should be able to find this yourself.

Here, you can try different layouts for UK English, until you get the one that matches what's printed on the keyboard.

My keyboard has letters in Arabic and English printed, but I use it for US-EN, Swedish and Russian. Most strange characters are located in different places between Swedish and US layout. I never bothered to learn Russian typewriter layout. Instead I have created my own Russian layout, which I install on the computers I use.

You can install several languages, for sure. Maybe even several keyboard layouts per language.

Collapse -

Thats got it

by baxt76 In reply to Need to select matching l ...

That's great, makes more sense now.

Thanks for your time, I'm going to work on that :^)

Related Discussions

Related Forums