General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Is Windows 2000 Server Reliable for Mac?

by chip_taylor5 ·

I currently run a Netware 4.11 server with Appletalk installed for Macintosh connectivity. This works really well for allowing Macs to participate on our network. It is very robust and reliable. I am beginning to think about migrating to a Windows2000 server setup from the NW 4.11 and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with Macs connecting to Windows 2000. Is it reliable and robust? Any other opinions about Mac connectivity to Windows 2000 would be greatly appreciated.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by ipaqguy ·

In reply to Is Windows 2000 Server Reliable for Mac?

I am currenty running file and print service for the Mac on 3 2000 servers. The Mac clients are Graphic workstations handling extremely large file. I have yet to experience any downtime on these servers other then scheduled maintenance. We have 30 Mac’s and 150 Windows Boxs sharing this server and the only problem I’ve seen is when transfering a file from the mac to the Server and then to a PC. If the Mac User puts anything besides standard ASCII text (No /, spaces, ?, * etc) in the files name the Win9x boxs will not be able to use the files. The solution to this is to take all those characters out of the file name either on a NT/2000 box or on the mac and then the others can use the file. A Minor quirk, but other then that, Rock Solid Stable

by bestread1 ·

One of my clients has an Imac running on a 2k server. Works great. Make sure you do all the updates to 8.6 clients. It will use DCHP to login and there is an additional authentication client for additional security which can be downloaded from the server when you set up the share.

Likewise, mac users need to be educated about windows naming conventions.

Also, printer sharing works fine as well with the right printers…

You could also consider Samba, if your hardware is not needing replacement.. more work to configure less cost for licensing..

Linux has netatalk which allow mac/unix file shares..worth a look.

Good luck,

by chip_taylor5 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads