Question

ISA 2004 authentication problem

By stergios_nik ·
Hello.

Some external laptop users that came to our premises, want to access their company mail servers using our ISA 2004.

ISA server 2004 has the latest service pack installed and is a member server in our NT domain.

I have configured the following access rule on ISA 2004:

Name: Internet access rule
Action: Allow
Protocols: All outbound traffic
To: External
Users: All Users

My internal users that have their PCs or laptops joined to the NT domain can access internet and any external mail server without problems.

The problem is to do with those external laptop users that do not have their laptops joined to our NT domain. In order to access the internet they have to configure to their laptops the ISA 2004's IP setting. After that configuration they point internet explorer to a web site and then IE6 prompts for account credentials that must exist in our NT domain in order to get the internet access. I created an account in our NT domain and I entered the credentials to the laptop:
username: domainname\account
password: ********************

and... the user gets access to the Internet.

Now, If I configure outlook express on this laptop to check emails from an mail server on the Internet then the connection fails.

PCs or laptops that are joined on the NT domain can access internet and external mail servers on the internet.

I think that those PCs / laptops that are not joined have this specific problem.

Any ideas, on how can I solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Stergios

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Internet Access group

by CG IT In reply to ISA 2004 authentication p ...

ISA has a group called Internet Users. In a domain environment, to allow users access to the internet, you simply stick them in that group.

There is the firewall client program for domain users in ISA Server 2004 which lets client computers find ISA [proxy]. There are secure NAT clients which don't use the ISA firewall client program. Your problem is the secure NAT clients.

Try isaserver.org whitepapers for configuring secure NAT clients with ISA 2004

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)