Question

ISA server 2004 on DSLL or ADSL without static IP

By raju.reddy009 ·
Sir,

I have one 2003 windows domain ,and i have connection from local ISP without static IP, they setup one wireless router , this wireless router has private ip address like 192.168.1.102, sub: 255.255.255.255.from this router i used ethernet cable to my network switch, from here we all are getting internet, But now i want to install ISA on win 2003 domain controller, while installing ISA LAT can define coz we know the local address range. Now for second NIC which ip address can i give? coz i don't have static IP from ISP, can i use 192.168.1.102 for my second NIC ip (for both can use NIC and router lan address), pls suggest me how to configure second NIC.

Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A couple of things to have in mind...

by TobiF In reply to ISA server 2004 on DSLL o ...

Hopefully, your modem/router gets some public ip address (which, however, my change from time to time).

On the inside of your network, the router will have an address, which is always the same. You say, 102.168.1.102. That is possible, but, more probably, it will have an address like 192.168.1.1.
You should see the router's address if you issue "ipconfig /all" on the command line. The router's internal address should be listed as "default gateway". (By the way, a network mask of 255.255.255.255 in only possible on point-to-point connections that don't use ip routing. Most probably, your internal network has 255.255.255.0 as network mask, meaning that internal addresses can be in the range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254.

If you want to have a web server at home, you need to do several things:

Your server should have a fixed address on your internal network and you need to make sure that the DHCP server in the router does not hand out the same address to any other computer. If your router supports predefined ip addresses for specific MAC addresses, then that's the best approach, otherwise - enter a hard coded IP address from outside the DHCP range of your router. You then need to also configure netmask, default gateway and dns addresses, this information you get from the command I referred above.

Next, in your router you need to forward external TCP port 80 to the internal address of your web server (and the port your ISA is listening to). In your router setup, this can be referred to as "virtual server" or "port forwarding". (although they sound very different, these phrases are synonyms in this context).

Finally, you need to make it easier for computers on the internet to find your current ip address. Register a (free) accound with dyndns.org and have this record automatically updated by the router if possible, or by a dyndnsupdater client on your server.

If my brief explanation is too short, google the keywords I've used, and you'll find an ocean of information. (Hmm. Add the words "how to" in your search, and you'll get even better matches...)

Good luck!

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)