General discussion

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

By johnnyr ·
I would like to know if anyone has experience using both of these products for the company's firewall. What are the pros and cons of each of these firewall solutions? Are there any whitepapers comparing these products?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

by Ann777 In reply to ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/usenet/microsoft.public.security/2002/06/msg00739.html

http://www.firewall-1.org/2002-08/msg00238.html

If you input a search "isa vs cisco pix 515" at www.yahoo.com, you will get 53 such links. Other search engines may offer better results.

I have used Cisco Pix 515, and liked its' command line structure and configurability. I have not used ISA though, and cannot really compare. What you choose should depend on your needs.

Collapse -

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

by johnnyr In reply to ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

by erikdr In reply to ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

I've tested ISA in the labs and made a review for a magazine(not in English, sorry...)
Conclusion: relatively lousy, especially for more serious large-scale deployments where one would like to use a tri-homed DMZ. Really the only vendor in the high-end market (that's at least what they claim) which takes such an overtly simplistic approach and hence scores substandard...

<Erik> - The Netherlands

PS You might also be aware that MS shot in its own foot: its SQL Server development unit, after a number of security breaches, chose to install a Pix-like firewall appliance to shield its domain in favor of ISA. Which is very interesting seeing that ISA would be licence-free for them

Collapse -

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

ISA vs CISCO PIX 515

This question was closed by the author

Back to Security Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)