General discussion

Issue with Access 2003 & SQL

By tim_kelley ·
I have created tables in a SQL database and use ODBC to link to the tables in Access 2003. If I change the value of a field in an existing record I get a write conflict dialog stating that another user has made changes to this record. I am the only one using this database so this is not the case. Any ideas what is causing this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Issue with Access 2003 & ...

The most common cause for that particular error is no primary key on the table. What's it's saying really is it can't find the data that is to be changed anymore. For the chnage it's doing
Update Table set field = new_value, ... where . If the where clause identifies a different record or more likely a set of records in a different order. This message pops up as as an ooher, somethings gone wrong.

Collapse -

by tim_kelley In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Issue with Access 2003 & ...

ODBC has an option where you can log everything that goes through it (on the dsn set up). Dumpls it all into a named text file.
P.S. if you use it don't forget to turn it off, otherwise your system gets slower and slower and you get less and less disk space.

Collapse -

by tim_kelley In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by tim_kelley In reply to Issue with Access 2003 & ...

The issue was a bit field that did not have the default value set to something. Access did not like it having a null value.

Collapse -

by tim_kelley In reply to Issue with Access 2003 & ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Web Development Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)