General discussion

IT Debate: Buyer beware: Windows 2000 li

By itdebate ·
Gartner argues that significant cost increases from changes in licensing for Win2K will drive companies to less restrictive server operating systems such as Solaris and Linux. Do you think the cost of Windows 2000 licensing supports the idea that Microsoft uses monopolistic practices? Have Win2K licensing costs made you consider alternative operating systems? You can read the related Gartner article, which will be posted on 3:00 A.M. Wednesday, at http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00620000614ggp01.htm

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by McKayTech In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

Licensing costs are a huge dis-incentive to continue to use Microsoft products but I don't know to what degree I would tie that to monopolistic practices. Oracle licensing costs are also high and there has, so far, been no accusations of monopoly with regards to them.

I continue to consider and deploy non-Microsoft products whenever it makes sense on a total cost of ownership basis. Thus, I use Apache on Linux or FreeBSD for Web serving, Samba on Linux or FreeBSD for file and print sharing, but Windows2000 for Terminal Services and on the desktop (for now).

paul

Paul M. Wright, Jr. MCSE, CNE
McKay Technologies

Collapse -

by itdebate In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...
Collapse -

by koen.de.waele In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

I work for a medium-sized company which, for the moment, is an MS shop. The current platform for clients and servers is NT 4.0. We are currently conducting a "next-generation" study where the original viewpoint was a migration to Win2K.
But as of this moment we no longer hold this view. Win2K is simply too expensive.
While it is unlikely that we can switch the client-side(we have, ofcourse MS Office), it is a safe bet to say that the back-end will switch completely. File and print services,mail and fax services, web services, databases will be hosted on unix. At this point we're not sure what vendor we will choose for directory services. Novell is a strong candidate.
We are aware of the conversion and migration costs for switching platforms but, and this is the keypoint, we are now *willing* to make them as we believe them to be justified on a long term base.

So, is MS monopolistic? No, because I believe that there are alternatives wich more compelling each day.
Are they bullish and arrogant?

Collapse -

Your answer was featured in our IT Debate TechMail. To receive your free subscription to the IT Debate TechMail, sign up at http://www.techrepublic.com/techmails.jhtml

Collapse -

by vbs In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

If it looks like a duck, Quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck

Collapse -

Collapse -

by terindeb In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

Changing operating systems Is a lot of work. Bill Gates realizes this, and bets that increase in prices won't make us change systems . And will continue to find ways to charge for services just as creativly as the The Telephone companies do! Take a good look at your phone bill! You wil see all kinds of charges just to have a dial tone, 10.95, Charges for in home wire repair , called wire pro, $3.20, and wire pro plus , $1.20, Savor 60, for so called savings on calls made $3.60 whether you make one call or 100 so think you save anything making a few calls at 10 cents a min. which would add up to maby 2.00 dollars you don't save anything but it cost you more. and for directory assitance charges .95 cents, having your phone # listed .14cents unlisted .28cents, etc, ect, so are the phone companies monopolistic?? We are stuck with greedy corpaorate America and all its charges, monopolistic or not. all operating systems are going to charge and if you save maby a few dollars is it worth changing services ? He

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bruce In reply to IT Debate: Buyer beware: ...

I don't quite understand your point. In our case the competition for Windows 2000 and SQL server for our website would be Sun Workstations, Solaris and Oracle to get something near the same level of performance. Win 2000, SQL server, CALs and Intelhardware are nearly an order of magnitude less expensive than our alternative. If Win 2000 is in trouble from Linux then what about Sun and Oracle?

Collapse -

Back to IT Employment Forum
24 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next