General discussion

IT Debate: Exchange 2000: Substantial

By itdebate ·
Gartner believes that Exchange 2000 is a strong effort by Microsoft to catch up in collaboration and Web content management applications. If you have decided to implement Exchange 2000, what convinced you to make this decision? If you did not selectExchange 2000, why did you pass on it? What?s the most compelling reason to implement Exchange 2000? What?s your reaction to Gartner?s Bottom Line? You can read the related Gartner article, which will be posted 3:00 AM Wednesday, at http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00620001206ggp01.htm

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by namanowuor In reply to IT Debate: Exchange 2000: ...

I decided to implement exchange 2000 in our organization because of the following reason:
1. Formaly I was running exchange 5.5 in WinNT 4.0 platform hence it was easier for me to migrate to the later version
2. My organisation was in need of Document management system which would also have the workflow system, on analysing exchange 2000at its release, I found out that it had all these bundles therefore I was going to make a saving by going for it as opposed to other Document management systms like Laserfiche.
3. The othet element was security of of the mailing system and the encription level

Collapse -

by itdebate In reply to IT Debate: Exchange 2000: ...

Your answer was featured in our IT Debate TechMail. To receive your free subscription to the IT Debate TechMail, sign up at http://www.techrepublic.com/techmails.jhtml

Collapse -

by qtzar In reply to IT Debate: Exchange 2000: ...

I've been on both sides of the fence. I've worked in environments that used MS Exchange and environments that have used Lotus Notes and and I have to say that MS Exchange will never come up the collaborative superiority of the Notes system.

Every feature of Lotus Notes just adds to the collaboration abilities of Notes and when combined with some of the new companion products like Sametime, QuickPlace and the upcoming K-Station it simply blows the competition out of the water.

After seeing how easy it is to setup and configure a large implementation of Lotus Notes I will never recommend MS Exchange to anybody every again. It is easy to use, easy to configure, and easy to develope new applications in it.

I think the main reason that Lotus notes is better for collaboration is that it is not built around a e-mail system. E-Mail in Lotus Notes is just a small component. In Exchange everything is based on the E-Mail components.

So MY opinion... Lotus Notes is and always will be the best collaboration software available.

Collapse -

Your answer was featured in our IT Debate TechMail. To receive your free subscription to the IT Debate TechMail, sign up at http://www.techrepublic.com/techmails.jhtml

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to IT Employment Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)