General discussion

Locked

IT professionals face upheaval

By jkameleon ·
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzzit194666662mar19,0,5208228.story?coll=ny-business-headlines

An analysis by Gartner Inc., a research firm based in Stamford, Conn., predicts that the information technology job market will shrink by a whopping 40 percent by 2010. Those who specialize in a single technology will be most vulnerable to job cuts.

. . .

By 2010, 10 percent to 15 percent of IT professionals will drop out of the industry.

Through 2010, 30 percent of top technology performers will migrate to IT vendors and IT service providers.

By 2010, information technology groups in midsize and large corporations will be at least 30 percent smaller than they were in 2005.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

This is not news

by amcol In reply to IT professionals face uph ...

Although Gartner's assessment, as is usually the case, is far more draconian than reality will probably turn out.

The part with which I'm in 100% agreement is about specialization. Anyone who thinks they can become an expert in one technology and make their living accordingly is living in a dream world, and has been for quite some time.

IT professionals have been very slow to realize that there's really no such thing as an IT career, not unless you work for Intel or Microsoft or IBM or pure technology companies. If you work for an organization that makes a product or provides a service that is not strictly speaking a particular piece of software or hardware, then you have a business career with a specialty in technology. That makes Gartner's assessment pretty logical.

In yet another example of the 80-20 rule, most organizations find that 80% of their business processes and procedures are not unique while the other 20% are. Why reinvent the wheel? With all the software that's out there an effective IT department can provide 80% of the required service by buying COTS products, deploying with little to no customization and just a bit of configuration. The other 20% can be jobbed out, with IT serving as liaison between the business customer community and the consultants hired to build the custom software product. The skills required for that job are primarily business oriented.

Back to IT Employment Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Related Discussions

Related Forums