Japanes XP

By kgonczy ·
Dear Geeks,
I am subscriber to your email and I find it excellent in all ways which helps me with keeping up with the new technology.
I am an not so young man but I am trying to keep up with the bright young things that are so into computing.
I would like to ask a question if I may?
I was given a small SONY VAIO PCG-SR9/K laptop.
It works OK BUT it is in JAPANESE language version of Windows XP.
As it has no internal CD Rom drive I could not install an English version XP.
My question is, how can I do that?
Your help would be very much appreciated.
Look forward to your kind comments.

Yours sincerely

Karl Gonczy

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

You can probably connect to an external CD drive.

by seanferd In reply to Japanes XP

If you have an external CD/DVD drive which you can connect with a USB cable, you can go that way. If you don't have an external drive, but you have a PC with an optical drive, you can get a drive enclosure for 20-30 dollars (rough estimate, U.S.) and temporarily move the drive to the enclosure for the XP install.

You will probably have to enter BIOS setup and check the boot order, and make sure USB devices have boot priority over the hard drive.

There are also ways for installing XP from a Flash drive, but it can get complicated. It may be easy as well, but it varies.

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by kgonczy In reply to You can probably connect ...

Thank you for your comments and I shall try it.
Thanks again.

Collapse -

You could also try

by OH Smeg Moderator In reply to Japanes XP

Using another computer and copy the XP Install Disc to a USB Thumb Drive and then after setting the unit to Boot From USB before the HDD you may be able to install XP that way.

However have you looked in the Control Panel in Classic View and looked in Regional & Language Options. It may be possible to set the unit to English there and then use the system.


Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by kgonczy In reply to You could also try

Hi Col,
Thank you for your kind comments and I shall try to do it and will let you know how it went.
Thanks again

Related Discussions

Related Forums